Best time of year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Emu

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to this board and new to fossil diving in Venice, so I was hoping I could get some advice from people much more knowledgeable. A group of friends and I are coming down from north Florida to try our luck with some shore dives and are trying to decide if we can do it as a day trip or if we should stay over to take advantage of morning conditions. I had spoken to someone who said that in the winter it clears up for the whole day because the afternoon storms are gone, but I was wondering what everyone's experience has been. We were initially planning on coming down at the end of September but can feasibly go any time (I've also heard best conditions are May-Sept, any thoughts?). If we do a day trip we would probably get to the beach around 10AM. Would we be screwing ourselves over getting there that late? Is there a time of year where that wouldn't matter, or are we best off just finding a place to crash for a night?

Thanks for any advice!

For several years now, the 'viz' has been much lower than it used to be ( there's an on going, almost daily thread/report here on SB).....Time of year doesn't seem to matter, didn't when the 'viz' use to be better....But AM's do seem to be better......Good Luck

I would agree that May - September would be the best time of the year. In the winter we have to do our diving between cold fronts. Cold fronts mean west-north west winds, which really messes up the viz. Often viz just begins to improve & another front enters. It has been my experience that rain is not what hampers viz so much as wind. Generally, if the winds are out of the east, viz will be decent. The problem with the gulf coast is we really can't give you a set time when things will be great because viz can change in a matter of hours.

East winds and incoming tides are best. I always consult Magicseaweed, Venice Beach Surf Report, Surf Forecast and Live Surf Webcams for beach conditions, forecast and tides. Early fall, when the water starts cooling off and day become shorter are the best viz. During the hotter summer days planktonic blooms can reduce the visibility of what would otherwise be great conditions. Early spring can be good, but you're dodging frontal systems and the dive window narrows. Winter time the water is just too cold (mid 50's-low 60's)! This is Florida afterall!

come the end of Sept and spend the night. If diving conditions are not great, Venice is a great little town to wander around and have some fun! This place is right across the street from Venice Beach and has great reviews! Welcome to Inn at the Beach

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom