Best time of year to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmcg

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm trying to plan a dive trip to Hawaii in 2009. This will be my first trip to the islands and I'm very excited. It will only be 6 or 7 days of diving, though. I am hoping to see a Manta Ray, and possibly a whale shark. Do whale sharks come to Hawaii and if so, what month of the year would give me the best chance of seeing one? I would also really appreciate any recommendations on where to stay and which dive shop to go with. I apologize if this is a question previously posted. I briefly searched and couldn't find this info. Thanks so much!

Aloha! Glad to hear you will be visiting Hawaii next year. Yes, we do see whalesharks! I would say that we tend to see more in the winter. But we have seen them year-round. Since there is not a predictable pattern, you shouldn't schedule your trip around the idea of seeing one. They aren't common...but it sure is a pleasant surprise when we see one. (We had a couple of years in a row with whaleshark sitings on New Year's day. A very nice way to start the year.)

My favorite months for diving here are summer/early fall (July-October). The water is at its warmest and the seas are generally very calm here in Kona. But we do have great diving all year.

We see mantas year-round. But, again, with calmer seas in the summer/fall, that is your best bet.

Not sure which island you plan to dive...but if you are coming to the Big Island, there are a ton of places to stay ranging from ultra expensive to "thrifty". The book, Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed" can point you in the right direction for accommodations. There are also books in the series for the other islands.

Let us know if you have specific questions about diving in Kona.

Mahalo, Angela

Thanks for the replies. Justleesa, I am planning on the Big Island, probably the Kona Island since I don't want to miss seeing a Manta. If you think there is a better area to stay, please say so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom