Best time of year in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug51

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm considering a dive trip to Hawaii later this year. Any advice on best time of year to dive there? I don't have a particular island in mind at this time.

Winter you cant dive north shore, swells too big. Summer you can dive northshore. You can usually dive south/east shore all year round which is where most the wrecks and boat charters are. West gets the winter swells as well but not as bad as north...so its kind of a tweener. =P

Hope that helps!

Been here since Dec. and so far everyday has been hit and miss according to the swells and surge. But even in the worst conditions it sure beats NJ diving any day! Getting pampered here. :D

Doug51:
I'm considering a dive trip to Hawaii later this year. Any advice on best time of year to dive there? I don't have a particular island in mind at this time.

We go to Hawaii twice a year and the very best time to go is when we are not there!:wink:

Seriously, there are two times a year when we do not usually go there: the very high season--winter and summer vacation. We avoid the times when the islands are most populated by visitors. It works just fine...

Winter can provide some nice diving, though, and we love to hear the whales singing at that time of year.

That said, for the most part Hawaii is a year-round dive paradise...:14:

joewr

They don't become High Seasons for nothing. I have seen some incredible diving days when the place is packed. Then a couple days later I'm telling people to go surfing. You just never know, the best conditions and encounters can happen any time, and visa versa. Pick a time and make the best of it.

halemano:
They don't become High Seasons for nothing. I have seen some incredible diving days when the place is packed. Pick a time and make the best of it.

Hey, Shark Home,

The most compelling reasons for them becoming high seasons as I understand it are two:

(1) Winter getaway for snowbound snowbirds:blinking:
(2) School vacations:crafty:

Now, since neither of these has much to do with the quality of diving, we tend to avoid them...and the attendant extra bodies...ashore, afloat, a-diving. To quote a sage, "Pick a time and make the best of it." But if you can pick a time when fewer folks are around, the airfares tend to be better, the condo rates tend to be better, the dive sites less populated, and...well, you know...:wink:

We go to the islands twice a year and love the diving there...

joewr

Thanks everyone! It will probably be in May, August or more likely September.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom