Best time of the year to dive south FLA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am beginning to plan a trip south. I would be driving 2 days from Canada. I plan on doing 5 days of diving. 2 of those days would be at the Jules Undersea hotel. I know some may suggest otherwise, but it is on my dive bucket list.

So, for 3 days, whether it be day or night diving, I plan to dive in the area around the Keys.
Where would you suggest?

When is the best time of year? I know to avoid hurricane season.

swimmer: as far as I'm concerned, the best time to dive in Florida is hurricane season. Hurricane's are hard to predict and don't happen often but the summer to early fall generally have the nicest topside diving conditions and the warmest water (if no hurricane is present). If you want to avoid hurricane season you'll be diving in the winter or spring and you'll run a higher risk of generally lousy topside conditions and colder water temps which are typical at those times of the year. I dive year round in Florida, but wear a heavy wetsuit in the winter and also realize I'll be putting up with pretty bumpy rides at times during the winter and, sometimes, spring.

If I were coming to Florida from Canada to dive, I'd plan a trip for summer or early fall and then buy DAN trip insurance, or something similar, if you have to make big deposits.

The Keys are a good place to dive: most operators are very good. I like Conch Republic Divers and dive with that operator the most but have also had good experiences with Horizon, Rainbow Reef, Silent World and Quiescence. All are unique to some degree, but I'd dive with any of them again

swimmer: as far as I'm concerned, the best time to dive in Florida is hurricane season. Hurricane's are hard to predict and don't happen often but the summer to early fall generally have the nicest topside diving conditions and the warmest water (if no hurricane is present). If you want to avoid hurricane season you'll be diving in the winter or spring and you'll run a higher risk of generally lousy topside conditions and colder water temps which are typical at those times of the year. I dive year round in Florida, but wear a heavy wetsuit in the winter and also realize I'll be putting up with pretty bumpy rides at times during the winter and, sometimes, spring.

If I were coming to Florida from Canada to dive, I'd plan a trip for summer or early fall and then buy DAN trip insurance, or something similar, if you have to make big deposits.

The Keys are a good place to dive: most operators are very good. I like Conch Republic Divers and dive with that operator the most but have also had good experiences with Horizon, Rainbow Reef, Silent World and Quiescence. All are unique to some degree, but I'd dive with any of them again
Yeah, I have to second the summer early fall recommendation. Diving S. Florida in mid-summer is tremendous. I usually come down and do a Spring dive trip in S. Florida too, water temps are definitely on the chilly side at times. I really enjoy diving S. Florida all seasons though, and I am envious as heck for those that live in the Jupiter/WPB area.

Summer is great for topside, but the winter ain't bad if you don't mind a bumpy boat ride.

Summer is great for topside, but the winter ain't bad if you don't mind a bumpy boat ride.

......or low 70's high 60's water temps...... :D I dive year round but wear a 7MM in the winter and have had plenty of 6 foot wave days. :confused:

One other item I didn't mention; the other risk of the winter, or non-hurricane season, is that dive ops simply cancel because of the marine conditions. Theoretically, swimmer or any individual diver might be able to deal with 6 foot waves but many divers can't or won't deal with that type of wave action so trips get cancelled because there simply won't be enough divers for the boat.

......or low 70's high 60's water temps...... :D I dive year round but wear a 7MM in the winter and have had plenty of 6 foot wave days. :confused:

One other item I didn't mention; the other risk of the winter, or non-hurricane season, is that dive ops simply cancel because of the marine conditions. Theoretically, swimmer or any individual diver might be able to deal with 6 foot waves but many divers can't or won't deal with that type of wave action so trips get cancelled because there simply won't be enough divers for the boat.

You can always shore dive from Pompano Beach down to Lauderdale. Look up videos online. Cooler waters usually mean better vis, but summer time isn't bad either due to the gulf-stream passing so close to the shoreline in South FL.

Hotel prices seem to be cheaper in the summer/fall.

Low 70's water temps? Are you trying to scare him off? 84f water in Key Largo today.

NDBC - Station MLRF1

Given that you're coming from Canada, our summer/fall temps topside might be a bit on the high side for your comfort.

---------- Post added September 8th, 2014 at 05:22 PM ----------

I am beginning to plan a trip south. I would be driving 2 days from Canada. I plan on doing 5 days of diving. 2 of those days would be at the Jules Undersea hotel.

I'm glad you posted this. I've never heard of it, and it looks AWESOME! Can't wait to read your trip report.

Low 70's water temps? Are you trying to scare him off? 84f water in Key Largo today..

Those are winter/spring temps. Except for the periodic upwelling off the east coast of Florida, summer and fall have great water temps. I was commenting on tomfcrist's observations of winter diving. which I do plenty of.

I recorded 88 degrees on one dive in the keys a few weeks ago. Jupiter is usually just a few degrees cooler given the gulf stream is just off shore.

4-6 ft seas are doable but barely for me with some Dramamine. 6-8, don't want to be out in those seas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom