Best threading path for Perdix bungee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
geoff w

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've loved diving with my Petrel 2 for many years, and since I'm thinking about starting on tech training my wife gave me a Perdix AI for Christmas. I'm used to the Petrel straps, but am looking at rigging my Perdix with bungee straps. I saw a couple of different options here, but nothing jumped out at me as the definitive best way to thread bungee through the holes on a Perdix. Any suggestions for a "best" way? I saw one picture showing an adjustable setup, is there anything better?

I know there's more than a few here that swear by using bungee but I really like the straps that come with it. Although I've never tried bungee, I can't imagine how it could be any easier or work better than the straps 🤔

I don't think the straps would go over my rings on the ds? Idk, never tried.

If I was only diving warm water it might make sense to try the straps. I attach the dc to my suit with the bungees surgical tubing before I put the suit on. I have 2 separate bungees tubing in case one fails (as mentioned above).

@geoff w either way I'm sure is fine... try both see what works best for you?

The straps from SW have buckles so getting over rings isn't an issue.

That being said I still prefer my Perdix without straps, I used bungee for a while but now have switched to surgical tubing. The tubing is much easier to get over the rings on my drysuit.

I know there's more than a few here that swear by using bungee but I really like the straps that come with it. Although I've never tried bungee, I can't imagine how it could be any easier or work better than the straps 🤔

I used the straps for a few years, but changed to bungee last year. So much easier to get on. Just pull the bungees over my dry glove rings. No faffing with the buckles.

I just posted these pics in another thread, but here y'go anyway:
2022-02-13 20.24.27.jpg

2022-02-13 20.23.15.jpg

The straps from SW have buckles so getting over rings isn't an issue.

That being said I still prefer my Perdix without straps, I used bungee for a while but now have switched to surgical tubing. The tubing is much easier to get over the rings on my drysuit.

I don't know why I sad bungees before. I use surgical tubing.. really elastically (is that a word?). I can wear it in warm water or stretch over the rings. Nice stuff.

Those using surgical tubing, just inspect it regularly. Surgical tubing doesn't last as long as bungee and also breaks easier.

For me, I prefer the buckle straps that my Perdix AI came with. My Peregrine has bungees but I much prefer the elastic straps. I'd put them on my Peregrine if it were designed to use them.

I have two separate pieces of bungee, in case one fails, with enough extra on the ends so I can switch between 3mm and 5mm suits. If I ever get back into my dry suit I'll put the straps back on.
This is more or less what I do. I started using the straps. They aren't terrible, but can be a pain to buckle with one hand. Bungee seems to stretch a bit more.

The one change is that I cross the bungees. Still two separate bungees, and either one will keep the computer in place. Instead of top left to bottom left, etc. Top left goes to bottom right, etc.

I'm not convinced either way is better. My way uses a bit more bungee, but not a huge deal as I have more than enough.

Here's what I came up with that seems to work best for me, so far. One continuous piece with 3 loops, 2 go over my wrist, can be made very loose to put on and take off, then a loop in the middle that I pull to tighten the wrist loops, pull around my wrist, and then over the top of my Perdix. I know some people do similar for wrist mount compasses, and I vaguely remember seeing this somewhere but can't find the reference.

PXL_20220521_184948506.jpgPXL_20220521_185005588.jpgPXL_20220521_185020812.jpgPXL_20220521_185042494.jpgPXL_20220521_185058812.jpg

Here's what I came up with that seems to work best for me, so far. One continuous piece with 3 loops, 2 go over my wrist, can be made very loose to put on and take off, then a loop in the middle that I pull to tighten the wrist loops, pull around my wrist, and then over the top of my Perdix. I know some people do similar for wrist mount compasses, and I vaguely remember seeing this somewhere but can't find the reference.

View attachment 724059View attachment 724058View attachment 724057View attachment 724056View attachment 724055
I like this, except for it being one piece of bungee. How to do this with two pieces, for redundancy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom