Best Tank for NE Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smb1014

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to dive in the north east on the some wrecks with a single tank. These dives will be within recreational limits. I will be wearing a dry suit. I don't want a tank that will burdonsome from a dry weight configuration. I am having a hard time deciding which tank to get. Any help would be helpful. Please vote below on which you think is best.

Most people will tell you that you can't really "dive" NE wrecks on a sinlge tank. But, everything that you need to know: here.

I don't think best can be said without more details. I'm not a wreck diver but it's really a gas planning question.
* Are you/do you plan to dive nitrox? That will extend bottom time and give you use for more gas.
* What are you calling rec limits?
* What is your SAC or RMV

The easy answer is that you can't have too much gas and get an E7-130 but that may not be the best overall answer with your desire to control dry weight.

Pete

smb1014:
I want to dive in the north east on the some wrecks with a single tank. These dives will be within recreational limits. I will be wearing a dry suit. I don't want a tank that will burdonsome from a dry weight configuration. I am having a hard time deciding which tank to get. Any help would be helpful. Please vote below on which you think is best.
Hey smb,
We dive the Great lakes wrecks up to the 130 FSW on a single tank rig with a pony Min 30cuft. like the one link I see posted. and you will see lots of divers out your way doing it too! Much dives like that your not using NITROX any how,But IF you get a New tank it should and will be NITROX ready so label it and fill it only with Hyper filltered air and most shops that sell Nitrox have this. Get a Steel tank HP cause cold water divers need so much lead the heavy steel tank helps you drop lead!
Doubles are great too! but talk about weight! Wow! but if you go tec or plan to this is the way to go!
Last Check out my pal, Barry at,
www.divesales.com
look to his tank link and man he has tanks,and his prices rock! Steel,AL, Ponys and so on! I just got a steel HP 130from him! talk about a water heater!
Dive Safe,
BRAD

I dive with a PST-130/H-valve/7' hose and can sling a pony as req. for the dive.

smb1014:
Recreational limits - down to 130 feet
Yes, I want to do Nitrox.
I tend to use more gas then less.
As Spectrum said, you'll need to figure out how much gas you'll be using on your longest possible dive in order to ensure you have a tank that will give you an adequate supply. I recently wrote up a description of how to caluclate your gas consumption rates, and then how to use them to figure out your rock-bottom gas requirements. You can find it here: http://thescubastop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11107#post11107

MSilvia:
As Spectrum said, you'll need to figure out how much gas you'll be using on your longest possible dive in order to ensure you have a tank that will give you an adequate supply. I recently wrote up a description of how to caluclate your gas consumption rates, and then how to use them to figure out your rock-bottom gas requirements. You can find it here: http://thescubastop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11107#post11107

Great article Matt. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom