Best super macro lenses for Sony Rx100 IV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Were you zoomed all the way in when taking these? Have you tried to find a similarly sized small detailed object and tried to produce acceptable results in the controlled environment of your home?

Focus is very difficult at those magnifications. Best practice is to get close in focus, then rock back and forth for the final sharp focus.
Plus 1 on this. I use my own movement to focus when doing macro on land and in water as the DOF is very shallow.

54977974-C615-4B25-8B18-B8B0A8CEA1ED.jpeg

This is the full crop. I can't seem to get the details out of its facial features. That's where i thought i would need further magnification. yes f/11 is the smallest aperture on the RX100 IV.

Yeah that's what i tried, the locking focus and rocking back and forth. for the RX 100 IV at 70mm there's only so much i can zoom in to get the details :/ so i thought if i had more magnification then i wouldn't have to crop that much.

It is still only a 0.5Mp image, 800x600. And may actually be sharp, but I can't tell. Try cropping the face of the guy on the right and upload a full resolution version.
What is the smallest aperture on your lens? If f/11, then that is a problem.

Focus is very difficult at those magnifications. Best practice is to get close in focus, then rock back and forth for the final sharp focus.

BF42384D-A46C-4BA5-8D45-0F855AC73FCD.jpeg
8134D567-C7FE-47E9-A978-4D7DA44DF437.jpeg
Were you zoomed all the way in when taking these? Have you tried to find a similarly sized small detailed object and tried to produce acceptable results in the controlled environment of your home?

Yes i was zoomed in max at 70mm. i tried also on some small sapsuckling slugs but what i am aiming for is sharp facial features of these macro subjects.

Any idea which macro lens combination would give ample working distance for that level of magnification?

Because you are using the camera's smallest f-stop you may be diffraction limited. Try shooting a coin at home at f/11, f/8, and f/5.6. You lose depth-of-field, but gain sharpness.

Because you are using the camera's smallest f-stop you may be diffraction limited. Try shooting a coin at home at f/11, f/8, and f/5.6. You lose depth-of-field, but gain sharpness.

oh i see. so if i were to shot at a larger aperture i should be able to get a sharper facial shot but may lose focus on the body and other objects at a different plan? Thanks mate will try what you suggested with the coin and see what i get. thanks!

oh i see. so if i were to shot at a larger aperture i should be able to get a sharper facial shot but may lose focus on the body and other objects at a different plan? Thanks mate will try what you suggested with the coin and see what i get. thanks!
Let us know how it goes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom