best suits for warm water diving...opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flounderin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be doing my first diving in tropical conditions in june (82 degree water and hot sun). Do I still need a 3mm full suit or do most folks use a shorty or dive skin? I'm trying to make that 50 pound airline limit!! Thanks for answering my silly question.

If the temps are above 80 at the depth you will be diving, a dive skin would be my recommendation. If you are diving multiple deeper and cooler dives a 3mm will work very well. I am a HUGE fan of full length skins/wetsuits mainly due to jellyfish, Man-o-Wars are pretty common in FL waters.

I'd take a 3mm, because 82 is still a long way below 98.6. I was in the same temps recently in Mexico in a 5mm, because that's the suit I had with me, and it was like bathwater, but by no means uncomfortable. (and 50 lb. is a lot of luggage!).

no one can answer this for you. I would be wearing a lycra or 1mm diveskin, but you will see people in swimsuits, 3mm, and even more.

For protection other than thermal, I do think a fullsuit of some sort is always better than a shorty. Personally I would only use a shorty for layering or if I were desperate and needed to rent something. (Shorties are common in rentals, I think because they fit people more easily and cheaper. I rarely see people in the tropics using shorties of their own.)

It depends on the conditions and what you're going to be doing, but 99% of the time I usually wear either a two-piece rash guard (short sleeve shirt and shorts), or just a swimsuit. Either of these allows me to only have to carry 8lbs of additional weighting in salt water. I always pack a 3mm shorty and a 1mm full just in case, but I almost never need them.

Last edited:
I have been diving in my boardshorts and 1mm chest for about 3 weeks now in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm in the water 4 days a week and used to the water temps. Most people are using shorties on the boat or 3mm full. Bottom line everyone is different.

Flounderin
Do you easily get cold, if so then a 3mm might be more in oder, if not a rash or 1mm. I personally dive a 3mm, and like Straegen, use a full, like the protection. They really don't add that much weight. I always carry my reg and mask in my carry-on, that way less weight to check. And I know they'll get to my destination.

skins & a 2 mm shortie(can maybe get by without the latter).........

Unless you are diving deep into colder water, a diveskin might be enough. I was overheated in a 3mm suit in Florida in November going down to 30-40'.

I wear a 1mm for most single dive days. I wear a 3mm for dive trips
And two dive days. Even in warm water, there is a temperature loss.
Don't wear a shorty....just don't. ;-)
-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom