Best suggestions for hands free video while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
I used to do quite a bit of underwater photography, which I did enjoy at the time, but now I don't feel like carrying around a camera while I dive. I really just want some videos to share with my family, so I think a mask mount will suffice.
A couple of years ago I was looking at the Paralenz, so I was surprised to see that they are going out of business. I'll have to have a look at the GoPros they out now and see if I can figure out which is best for a mask mount.

There is a large, non-obvious upside to the GoPros, which is easy to miss if you have not used them. The default field of view is very wide, like 170 degrees, and this minimizes the perceived shake in head mounted or otherwise non-stabilized video. The downside is everything looks far away, and so you have to get much closer than you otherwise might to get good shots.

I use a head mount a lot, and also one of these: Hand Strap For Go Pro Hero 1/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10 360 Degree Rotation Belt Mount | eBay I recommend wearing it on whiever side you do not use to check your gauges or computer or whatever because it will just capture the surface. In really clear water, mounting one to a tank band can work as well, for a overview shot.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
I used to do quite a bit of underwater photography, which I did enjoy at the time, but now I don't feel like carrying around a camera while I dive. I really just want some videos to share with my family, so I think a mask mount will suffice.
A couple of years ago I was looking at the Paralenz, so I was surprised to see that they are going out of business. I'll have to have a look at the GoPros they out now and see if I can figure out which is best for a mask mount.
For mask mount, I’d go with the Mini as I’d say the full size Hero 11 Black is a bit heavy/bulky to hang off a mask.

They make a Dive housing for the Mini as well:

Dive Camera Housing (Waterproof Case for HERO11 Mini) | GoPro

Mask mounting is the best solution. The common complaint is your video will be shaky, but this is irrelevant if you edit your videos properly and try to remember to keep your head still when observing interesting scenes.

Will it be perfect? No, but you can have great results. I can assure you if you post your full hour long dive video no one will watch it
Exactly. It's not going to be quite as good as a dedicated hand-held camera, but the subject was hands-free, so a hand-held is out of the question.

The image stabilization in modern GoPros is pretty good. I have an older 3+ and got a 10 last year. While I managed to train myself pretty well with the 3+, the 10 is so much more stable.

And as you said, the key to any good dive video is in post production. You can edit out the shakiness, correct for color (if necessary) and keep the video duration short enough. This isn't a feature length Hollywood production. This should just show the highlights. I usually bookend my dive videos with a couple B-roll shots of the descent and ascent. That's mainly to wrap things up and provide me with a decent spot to add title and credit graphics.
I'm going to disagree here. Gun mounting usually results in crappy video, especially the violent shake from bands letting go. But more importantly, this often results in the shooter using the gun to be a camera, rather than a gun and attempting to get good "shots" of their buddy. A dangerous situation as one should never point their gun at a person.
Totally agree. While the speargun does offer a fairly stable platform, there are a couple of issues I have with it.
1. Part of the speargun will be a constant in just about every shot (unless muzzle mount), which kind of ruins the video if you come across something cool that you don't want to turn into dinner.
2. With lights, ppd, spare shafts, etc. my speargun is already busy enough.
3. The videos I've seen shot this way have the same problem. Great video of the stalking and aiming, but you often miss the actual shot as the video gets a pretty good jolt when the shaft is released.
4. As you said, you have to point the gun at anything you want to shoot video of.

Recently, I was having this discussion with a couple friends who had just bought GoPro 11s. They were asking about gun mounts. I suggested against it and mentioned number 3. I then also said that I have lots of video of them on dives we've done, but I never once pointed a speargun at them.

My buddy here in Bonaire this week used a headmount Go Pro Hero 4K and a very bright back hand led light on a Goodman Mount. I don’t recall the brand of the light. The light has a simple one switch to go from spot to flood. He gets great video with lots of true color and both hands are basically free other than to toggle from flood to spot on the light. He almost always just leaves the light on flood throughout the dive.

A spot light will ruin the video. Too concentrated. Also there are head straps in addition to mask mounts and they cost less than a new mask.

I have used GoPros and a Paralenz with helmet mounting, DPV mounting, Speargun mounting, and a handheld camera tray with equally bad results due to my horrible video filming skills. The problem with the speargun and DPV mounts are that when you drop them to do something else or during a spear reload you get completely unusable, disorienting video footage. By far the easiest is head mounted, however you will then see how much you actually move your head during your dive. If you are simply wanting to capture video for yourself then head mounting is absolutely the ticket. I set my GoPro to loop record and simply hit the button at the beginning and the end of the dive and forget about it in between.

And as you said, the key to any good dive video is in post production.

I would disagree. The key to good dive video is recording good footage in the first place. Post production is just tweaking, but each to their own. Some people just want to record some memories of a dive, others want to recreate Blue Planet with a GoPro.

Back
Top Bottom