Best suggestions for hands free video while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming you know that a mounted camera can result is Blair Witch-esque footage (head mounts being the worst), then something with good image stabilisation. One of the newer GoPro cameras would be the obvious choice.

Or just have somebody else hold the camera. :) If you are spearfishing you can mount it to your speargun for stability.

Mask mounting is the best solution. The common complaint is your video will be shaky, but this is irrelevant if you edit your videos properly and try to remember to keep your head still when observing interesting scenes.

Will it be perfect? No, but you can have great results. I can assure you if you post your full hour long dive video no one will watch it

Here's an example. 100% of this footage was shot with my mask mounted Paralenz.

Buy a GoPro.

Or just have somebody else hold the camera. :) If you are spearfishing you can mount it to your speargun for stability.

I'm going to disagree here. Gun mounting usually results in crappy video, especially the violent shake from bands letting go. But more importantly, this often results in the shooter using the gun to be a camera, rather than a gun and attempting to get good "shots" of their buddy. A dangerous situation as one should never point their gun at a person.

Mask mounting is the best solution. The common complaint is your video will be shaky, but this is irrelevant if you edit your videos properly and try to remember to keep your head still when observing interesting scenes.

Will it be perfect? No, but you can have great results. I can assure you if you post your full hour long dive video no one will watch it

Here's an example. 100% of this footage was shot with my mask mounted Paralenz.

Buy a GoPro.

Your definition of “great results” appears to be very different than mine - but if you just want some footage of things you saw while diving and it needs to be done hands-free, then this approach works.

Your definition of “great results” appears to be very different than mine - but if you just want some footage of things you saw while diving and it needs to be done hands-free, then this approach works.
Post your video to compare. :acclaim:

Personally, I like to enjoy the dive, much like any other activity, and actually experience it through my eyes rather than a view finder. I do not get paid for my video, I'm not trying to create Nat Geo work for free. My videos for me, not you.

I like diving, not video tapping. 😉

Post your video to compare. :acclaim:

Personally, I like to enjoy the dive, much like any other activity, and actually experience it through my eyes rather than a view finder. I do not get paid for my video, I'm not trying to create Nat Geo work for free. My videos for me, not you.

I like diving, not video tapping. 😉
No offense intended: As I said, if you just want to grab footage handsfree this works and is pretty much your only option - but it’s still a bit shaky and framing/leveling is sometimes awkward/off versus good hand held footage (understandably/expectantly so).

I honestly also prefer diving without the camera as I find it can be a distraction. However, I do sometimes bring it when I think l might see something interesting.

Here are a few handheld clips - have not done compilations videos yet (hard to find the time):

Bumpheads 2

Dory's

January 25, 2023

No offense intended: As I said, if you just want to grab footage handsfree this works and is pretty much your only option - but it’s still a bit shaky and framing/leveling is sometimes awkward/off versus good hand held footage (understandably/expectantly so).

I honestly also prefer diving without the camera as I find it can be a distraction. However, I do sometimes bring it when I think l might see something interesting.

Here are a few handheld clips - have not done compilations videos yet (hard to find the time):

Bumpheads 2

Bumpheads 2

Dory's

January 25, 2023
Did you backhand the diver in your group with the tank banger? 😉

Did you backhand the diver in your group with the tank banger? 😉
Lol…it was a different group and I usually try to tune it out but it can be annoying (to me, you should only do that if an emergency).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom