best store to pick up equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underwatershark

Registered
Reaction score
Looking to pick up some gear to start scuba soon, total beginner, so looking for something of good value

In this post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-divers-those-considering-diving/378598-scared-water.html you state:

I dont know how to swim, and when I go into the deep end. I get fearful of drowning, what is a good way to overcome this?

I'd suggest that you postpone your plans for scuba tuition and investing in expensive equipment... until you have mastered competence in the water as a swimmer.

Are you aware that all agencies incorporate a mandatory swimming assessment into their entry-level scuba training courses? For instance, to certify with PADI, you will need to conduct a 200m un-timed swim (without stopping or resting) and a 'survival float'. If you can't achieve those, you won't be permitted to continue the course and you won't get certified.

Learn to walk, before you run..... as they say
04.gif

Agreed

There's nothing worse and a waste of time than investing in lessons (No store is going to sell/rent you tanks without a c-card) getting scared, then dropping out, or even worse graduating and never going out.

There are a lot of pools that offer adult swim classes for beginner and advanced swimmers. I would suggest you start at your local pool. Build your confidence then move to snorkeling so you get used to looking around under water then on to scuba. just my opinion.

Just to play devils's advocate for a bit, I think the PADI swim test for OW is fine (200 m swim or 300 m snorkel). If you can pass that, that's good enough IMHO. You can always work on your swim skills after your OW certification.

I was actually not a very strong swimmer when I got certified, although it has improved now to the point that I was able to pass the DM swim test. I know plenty of people who are good divers that are not necessarily strong swimmers. Conversely, I have heard stories on this board and elsewhere of very good swimmers drowning on scuba. To me, breathing compressed air while moving through the water is quite different than swimming. Being a very good swimmer is not really going to help you that much, and can maybe even hurt you in some ways (holding yur breath, being perhaps overconfident without thinking about risks of rapid decompression, etc).

As long as you have some comfort in the water (I.e, with mask and snorkel and/or while wearing floatation device), I say, go for it! :)

Don't be discouraged by the responses you are getting but take it as solid advice from folks who have seen a lot. Once you get comfortable and proficient in the water, rent your equipment - diving gear is expensive and with so little familiarity with water sports how do you even know you'll like it? Or what types of equipment you might want?

Also, you've posted in the Western Canada forum, where diving is rather extreme (cold water, low visibility). If you panic in the deep end of a pool, imagine what you'll do 8 meters down with .5 meter visibility - you can't even see your dive instructor and all the other beginner divers around you are kicking up silt creating a complete white out condition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom