Best Spanish galleon wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all!

We will be spending the month of January diving in the Philippines. We're looking forward to it. Hoping to meet some scubaboarders over there. We're just at the stage of bedding our plans down now. Really exciting!

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys could help me out - are there any wrecks of Spanish galleons that are diveable within recreational depths? I really fancy the idea of diving an old wreck. If you could dive only one such wreck, which one would it be? Are there any notables? Is this even possible? Are there any wrecks with intact wood left anywhere or are they all pretty much debris fields? Are there any that are of particular historical interest?

I'm really looking forward to coming back to the Philippines. It was the first overseas country I ever visited, and having spent the intervening 17 years travelling all through Asia, this is my first time back. I have really, really fond memories of the place and people.

Thanks!

(I did try to search for prior threads on this, per the guidelines for this forum, but unfortunately 'galleon' is in the name of a lot of dive shops it seems, so the results were full of static)

The 'San Quentin', in Subic Bay is a wreck dating from the Spanish-American war. This is likely to be the type of dive you imagine...some good history, nice development of the wreck as an artificial reef. No treasure though... :(

Details here: Subic Bay Wrecks and Dive Sites

History of Subic Bay, with details of the San Quentin

Wow, this site is quite informative! I bookmarked it, who knows if someday I'll have the chance to dive there...

To my knowledge there are no diveable "galleons" around. Fallen to pieces over time, and/or salvaged by locals. If you go to Subic you can check out Brian Homan's cool museum at Vasco restaurant. Brian was one of the first to dive here and collected a ton of cool stuff off wrecks in conjunction with the National Museum.

Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom