Best Snorkeling In Europe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwodtke

New
Reaction score
(A search didn't produce results, sorry if this is a repeat question!)

A conference is flying me into Switzerland, then I have three weeks to wander. Obviously, the central location makes all things equally possible. So where is the best snorkeling for me and my ten-year old?

We prefer shore snorkeling, as we like to go out every day (sometimes multiple times). I'm wondering-- Greek Islands? Italy? or?

Koh Tao and Tobacco Caye have been my favorites so far... does Europe have anything like that?

Koh Tao and Tobacco Caye have been my favorites so far... does Europe have anything like that?
The short answer is no. You won't find any coral in the med. You can see some fish and other stuff on rocky coastline, but that's about it. If there is a beach, odds are you won't see anything when you go snorkeling

I know it's not what you asked, but If you're from the States and don't get to go to Eurpoe very often, I'd rather look for something to do on land. I'd probably go to Venice and Toscany... it's a short drive... but it also might be super boring for a ten year old.

Thanks!
I know much the land of Europe really really well, as I used to go a lot (ex-husband French) and conferences take me all over. I fell in love with snorkeling fairly recently and this is my first return to Europe since that passion. I can't dive because of bad ears, but will take any advice of even weak snorkeling.

We'll certainly mix it with ruins and history, but I'd like the best waters I can find. So far my research suggests Greece or Sicily. Just hoping someone found something more....

Well, I'm a likfelong snorkeller and over the decades I've snorkelled in the Mediterranean off Spain, France, Italy and Greece as well as in an East Berlin lake (in the 70s) and currently in the North Sea off the North East England where I live. I enjoyed, and continue to enjoy the European snorkelling experience. You can see for yourself the spots where the European pioneers of skin and scuba diving made their first underwater forays. In addition, you have the rich cultural and historical heritage on the European landmass. Personally, I don't mind if there's little or nothing to see beneath the waves in the way of flora and fauna; basking in the water with blue skies overhead is sufficient.

My favourite snorkelling venue (other than the one I love on my home turf) is probably Greece, which I see you are considering. I went to Athens during the 1970s and I still have happy memories of snorkelling from a sandy beach a few miles away into glorious blue waters where the locals snorkelled as well, not just foreign tourists. And of course there was plenty of culture and history to explore as well. I have to say that modern exotic snorkelling venues have little interest for me; they may have pretty-looking sealife, but what is on offer on the land is, from my perspective usually a culturally and historically barren and expensive tourist trap.

Thanks David!

I always want two things from a vacation: Snorkeling and History. Both Thailand and Belize have been great for that, between amazing reefs and ancient cultures. I hope you'll consider them someday!

I am eyeing Greece eagerly... though I found this Snorkeling In Italy ... Sicily in particular with its underwater volcano seems promising.

Greece is surprisingly good for snorkeling. I have seen more sea turtles there than anywhere else. If you go off of rocky areas and not beaches it seems like the best.

Hi everybody , I'm just new in this community. I'm from europe, due to low flight prices at the moment, i can get around alot :wink:here is my Youtube channel,
Snorkee B. , hope it helps in case of futher requests.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom