Best smallcraft for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
People don't like JD Powers when it does not agree with their preconcieved notions.

Right...

Honda, Acura, Infinity and Toyota being more reliable than Buick and Lincoln is only a preconceived notion... Right...

or, maybe JD Powers results are useless at measuring reliability.

~Marlinspike

Ocean Kayak Malibu II. Great for launches anywhere, great for coastline exploring, inexpensive, and pretty cheap on gas!

Kayak%20Diving%202_jpg.jpg

"Honda, Acura, Infinity and Toyota being more reliable than Buick and Lincoln is only a preconceived notion... Right..."

Again, yes, it is. As a lifelong and current multi-Toyota owner going back to when they first began to show up here, yes, the last few years has seen a decline in quality and reliability. This is reflected in that JD survey.

The sheet metal is thinner
to much and cheaper plastic nteriors
oil sludging problems
brake recalls out the wazee on my Tundra
more oil sludging
front drive shaft problems on four wheel drive
horrid---horrid paint that chips and peels off
poor gas mileage
squeeking belts
lower build quality--fit and finish

Now back to diving, I like your kayak rapid diver. here is mine. It is fun, occasionally challenging way to dive.

Nemrod:
"Honda, Acura, Infinity and Toyota being more reliable than Buick and Lincoln is only a preconceived notion... Right..."

Again, yes, it is. As a lifelong and current multi-Toyota owner going back to when they first began to show up here, yes, the last few years has seen a decline in quality and reliability. This is reflected in that JD survey.

The sheet metal is thinner
to much and cheaper plastic nteriors
oil sludging problems
brake recalls out the wazee on my Tundra
more oil sludging
front drive shaft problems on four wheel drive
horrid---horrid paint that chips and peels off
poor gas mileage
squeeking belts
lower build quality--fit and finish

you should have bought a Buick then...

~Marlinspike

you should have bought a Buick then...

Maybe I will next time but for now this will have to do and it pulls our BW Outrage with Mercury OptiMax nicely in between visits to the dealer for various issues. In the pic it sits low because it is loaded to the gills, normally it sits about two inches higher and the front coilovers are dialed down as well.

Kayaks are fun, especially when they try to blow off the top. N

Bayliner is without question the best bang for your buck. They are a best kept secret for those who know. The proof is in the number of repeat buyers. I will be buying my 2nd Bayliner Fall of 07 to address my 4' itus after 8 trouble free seasons.

The next one will be 24', stand up cabin, sleeps 4, 5.7L 250HP Merc, stand up head, full fresh water cooling system, etc., etc., etc. Can't wait.....my cuddy cabin is a tank but I want more space for gear and overnighting.

A utility boat like a Boston Whaler would be awesome for surf crashing but horrible for the type of boating and diving I do. We go out in the rain and I value the ability to suit up dry for example.

The mariner skill discussion reminds of a great story. I was spending the weekend at Block Island. Four guys rolled in with this boat: http://www.gradywhite.com/330/. They made a point to joke about my choice of location for anchoring (in terms of distance from shore) considering the size of my boat (19'). I explained I had done this "once or twice before" and suggested they anchor farther out. 4 hours later I returned to my boat at low tide. The stern of their hugely expensive, larger boat was dry as a martini while mine remained afloat.

--Matt

matt_unique:
A utility boat like a Boston Whaler would be awesome for surf crashing but horrible for the type of boating and diving I do. We go out in the rain and I value the ability to suit up dry for example.
I've got a Boston Whaler. I go out in the rain (in NorCal, the swells often lay down as
the rain comes through.) I put on my drysuit in the parking lot. No problem.

It fits in my garage, it tows easily with a V6, and I've had it to
Noonday Rock at the Farallones (39 nm from harbor, mostly offshore) and to Pt. Sur.

What's resale value on your Bayliner? I had to run the numbers on my whaler about a
year ago -- It's worth 80+% of what I paid for it new, eight and a half years ago.

Chuck

matt_unique:
The next one will be 24', stand up cabin, sleeps 4, 5.7L 250HP Merc, stand up head, full fresh water cooling system, etc., etc., etc. Can't wait.....my cuddy cabin is a tank but I want more space for gear and overnighting.

--Matt

What model is that? I haven't looked at the Bayliners, but that sounds like it fits my wish list to a tee.

FD

That sounds like the Bayliner 2455 Ceira I was looking at before I bought my Larson.

That was a nice looking boat and very roomy, but too much boat for my needs and experience.

Chuck, it is a useless argument. Rotting naugahyde and carpet rule the day. We got a rain suit and we have the Mills curtains so we can stay completely dry and weather most anything that comes our way short of a hurricane. But it is true, center consoles are at their very best in warmer climates such as I prefer. If I lived further north and wanted to boat year around I would certainly look at a cuddy like the BW Conquest or similar type boats. I don't think I would look at an I/O powered Larson or Bayliner though.
Darn, I wish I could remember the boat, it was a glass cat with twin 150 Mercs, it had a small cuddy and head with a lot of deck space and about 24 feet long. I liked that thing, we dove off of it and I enjoyed the fast smooth ride. It was fully glass lined and bonded and built to hang together, entirely different from those plywood lined things. There is something about a boat that does not rattle or shake or vibrate no matter how hard you push it. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom