Best smallcraft for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some boats come pre rigged with engines of a particular brand, others can be bought bare and then you purchase the engine(s) of choice. People get all out of whack over brand but today all outboards perform well. The two-stroke vs four stroke thing gets people all bent. Go with what suits your tastes. That Century is a nice machine, at thrity feet it is not the small craft I think the thread was addressing. N

tribaltim:
Tom how much do these boats cost fully loaded.....when you buy a big boat do they come with the engine's?
At the boat shows, the manufacturers have these "boat show specials" which are actually pretty good deals if you're buying a new boat, although you still have to add in the electronics usually. The newer version of this hull with 2 more feet and shiny new 4-strokes was something like $135,000. I'm selling mine for $39K - I can't throw it on a trailer without buying a serious fuel-guzzling tow vehicle and a pretty good-sized trailer, especially now with gas prices hitting the $3/gallon mark.
Pretty much each manufacturer has a factory arrangement with an engine manufacturer; in Century's case, since it's owned by Yamaha, guess what comes from the factory?

It is called twofootitus.You see, you start out with the boat you need, the one that works and you can afford to operate. Then you see that shiny big one, two feet longer, you get it. Well, then you see another one, even more shiny and it is two feet longer. Pretty soon your saying things like, "I'm selling mine for $39K - I can't throw it on a trailer without buying a serious fuel-guzzling tow vehicle and a pretty good-sized trailer, especially now with gas prices hitting the $3/gallon mark."
Big is good but not so big can be good too. N

Once again Nemrod you are right on the money ....also buy a used rig specially if its your first vessel. There are so many out there which are destined for a landfill ...

Besides I'd drop 39k on that boat ...except I only paid 10k for mine ...

matt_unique:
JD Power does the most survey's of boat owners for these purposes. They also have the most historical data. GW and Sea Ray are voted the best based on their survey's.

I agree the anecdotal references that most have in terms of which is "best" are regional.

--Matt

Sea Ray makes bathtubs. Pretty and glossy - yes, but stringer design and engine compartment layout sucked. I would stay away from ANYTHING by Sea Ray or Bayliner...oooh, you think maybe the same people make those two? Did you know that company (Brunswick) also makes bowling balls...and they don't float well iether?

I would rather own a boat made by boat people. Grady White does make good boats, but there are always small shops making excellent boats. For the money, Parker boats makes a damn nice center console, and Regulators are another top of the line choice.

~Marlinspike

Nemrod:
It is called twofootitus.You see, you start out with the boat you need, the one that works and you can afford to operate. Then you see that shiny big one, two feet longer, you get it. Well, then you see another one, even more shiny and it is two feet longer. Pretty soon your saying things like, "I'm selling mine for $39K - I can't throw it on a trailer without buying a serious fuel-guzzling tow vehicle and a pretty good-sized trailer, especially now with gas prices hitting the $3/gallon mark."
Big is good but not so big can be good too. N

LOL so true! I have a 20ft cuddy, been on the lookout for a nice 23-24 footer for the last couple years. I just wish I had the extra cash for one. A LOT of good used boats being dumped on the market right now.

FD

Marlinspike:
Sea Ray makes bathtubs.
~Marlinspike

While I happen to really like my Sea Ray, I found your comment funny. Just yesterday while installing new speakers in my boat, my son (4 yrs) is standing up on the console/windshield area and states that we should fill the boat with water. I said why do that, and he responded, so that he could swim in it like the bathtub.

FD

In the global economy many parent companies wholly or partially own other companies. Brunswick does not build boats, the companies that Brunswick bought and own build boats. Such companies may or may not maintain their heritage. Sometimes the influx of capitol is good and sometimes the parent company only sucks them dry. It goes both ways. In the case of Brunswick, they also own the Mercury brand, Bayliner, Sea Ray, and along the way Boston Whaler and a few others. Nothing about a Boston Whaler has anything to do with a Bayliner other than the parent company. One is targeted towards low end weekend beginner boaters and the other at higher end consumers. The constructions and componenets are entirely different.
Daimler Benz owns Chrysler, in the 70s their door handles would fall off. Now they almost make decent if ugly cars. A Mercedes Benz is still not a Dodge Neon but they are produced under the same parent company umbrella.
Having been to the Boston Whaler plant in Florida, nothing about the way those boats are built has anything to do with Bayliner. There are lot's of good boats out there and unfortunately there are a lot more really junky ones. Frankly, a Bayliner is not bad boat as long as you know what your getting up front. They serve many people very well, within the Brunswick line of brands, if you want a more substantial boat you would look to others of their brands. I don't think a comparison of a 40,000 (entry level Outrage) to 150,000 dollar or more Boston Whaler Outrage/Conquest has anything to do with a 15,000 dollar Bayliner.

There are also privately owned boat companies that serve more local markets or niche markets. Many of these offer boats of very high quality or specific purpose at a variety of price ranges. Buying a boat as an educated consumer is easy, it is the "education" that is not. The boat you need as a first time boat purchaser is probably not the one you see in the glitzy magazine or the one down at "Dan's Tractors and Boats" withn the midnight special price on it.

Also, given the number of boats damaged in the storms in the Gulf Coast--beware.

There were pictures of a Boston Whaler, left on it's trailer under a garage. The rising water lifted the Whaler. The unsinkable Whaler took the trailer and itself up through the garage. Of course, the boat was severly damaged as it sat there, forlorn, floating with trailer attached over the remains of it's owners abandoned and destroyed home, full of water beacuase the plug had been left in but still floating. Built by a Brunswick brand company.
N

Hey guys!!

Another good small dive boat is Seaswirl. I love my mine.

She's a 21' center console. With the back jumpseats, it makes it relatively easy to gear up & roll off. I had to put a real dive ladder on it, but that's not a big deal. I have a Yamaha 200 HDPI w/ 105 gallon fuel tank, so you can get pretty far offshore. She can fit 4 divers, albeit a little cramped, but doable. She also has a pretty high freeboard, she can take the beating it's really how much of beating you can take.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom