Best small primary light for night dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for the intova wide angle. Not to bright with a nice wide field of view without a blinding center spot. I carry the penetrator as a backup and for signaling. There are a variety of light socks and hands free options.

There is one guy that put a flip lens cover on his other DRIS light. Then he cut a piece of plastic to act as a diffuser. This will be my route when I get one of these lights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mb-Sub X1-VB although possibly over your budget? Still its a very nice versatile light.

mb-sub.com: X1 - VB LED-flashlight

+1

With the variable beam - and a very smooth wide beam, the X1-VB is a very nice light for rec diving - night and day. The narrow beam is bright enough to reach into holes and under ledges in the daytime, and the wide beam is plenty for night dives, without scaring the critters away.

With the 3xAA battery body, the light is nice and small, and would fit great on a sock or Goodman handle. I have a bolt snap tied to the back of the body, which I clip to the bungee of my wrist mount gauge/computer. Handy and secure.

Is there a us source for the x1-vb?

Is there a us source for the x1-vb?

I believe Golem gear stocks them. You could always buy directly from Mb-Sub freight is very reasonable, although not sure about US import duties etc. I also own the X1-800 and a VB-50 all great lights of very high quality.

Thanks for all the great info. I think it will be the mb-sub. I like the idea of a variable beam.

---------- Post added December 14th, 2012 at 06:11 PM ----------

Update. I checked with Michael and he recommended I go through GolemGear. I admit to second thoughts on the Shorty and adding a diffuser as TNRonin suggested.

For clear water, what about this one?
Big Blue Lights Focusable 250 lumen LED Light

• 6-31° focusable
  • 250 Lumens XR-E LED
  • Aluminum alloy, anti corrosive anodized
  • 4AAA batteries
  • 2.5 hrs at full brightness
  • 100m tested
  • Magnetic Swivel switch for one hand operation

I'll take a look at it. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom