Best small primary light for night dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I am looking for recommendations for the best small dive light for primary use. I have the Princeton Tec shockwave but find it heavy awkward and it takes both hands to operate the switch. Any suggestions?

On a night dive, you pretty much want to turn on the light and leave it on. You'll need your light on to see anyways, and actuating the switch increases the chances that something will go wrong and the light won't come back on. I also think that you don't need an exceptionally powerful light for night dives, since almost anything is a vast improvement over inky blackness.

DRIS just unveiled their 1k compact light. Having the 500 lumen I know this one will be nice with the sock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some divers prefer a much less powerful light for night diving. They feel that the bright lights ruin the experience and scare the critters away. Something around 150 to 250 lumens and a wide beam angle might be useful like the Intova lights:

Tovatec IFL WA Wide angle waterproof torch | Intova

N

where are you diving? Low viz murky waters vs. clear tropical water makes for different needs.

Thanks guys. I like the look of both those lights. Looks like either would be a vast improvement over my current light

---------- Post added December 12th, 2012 at 11:25 PM ----------

Mostly 50 to 100 viz on average. Most dives in Florida or Bonaire

---------- Post added December 12th, 2012 at 11:27 PM ----------

I have a small 220 lumen as backup light so the Shorty maybe the answer but will it be too bright?

Light Monkey 9 watt light is battery and light head as a single package, get the soft goodman handle and your golden. If you need/ want more light the 12 watt head fits as well but you will get a little less burn time.

I took a look at the Monkey. Unfortunately that ones over my budget.

You can always put a diffuser over a light that is too bright (Think coffee can lid), but you just can't make a weak light brighter without major modifications.

One thing that I can say is having a "hands free" light is important. I use a can light with a goodman handle, so my fingers are available. Something like the Dorcy Penetrator II, or the new DRIS, etc, with the sock should work well for hands free.

Back
Top Bottom