Best Slate for White Balancing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We should differentiate between white balancing the camera and shooting a shot of the card to adjust white balance later in PS or LR or whatever. Big difference. I think Undefined is talking about white balancing the camera UW - I've tried shooting white balance cards for later calibration in LR or PS and that turns out to be a huge pain.

Taxgeek has it exactly right - I'm looking for a good solution to white balance in camera prior to taking a shot. I will adjust colors, as necessary, in CS2 during PP but it helps to have it 'close' to begin with.

I have a very sophisticated piece of a white sunchair with a rubber band for attaching it to my bcd :) As I dive pretty much only tropical waters and most operators over there don't allow gloves I can't utilize that white glove thinige. It doesn't actually sound half that bad :) But basically if you don't have a slate don't buy one for white balancing. Just pick some white plastic and use it. Anything white will do.

depending on the lighting I have used

1) sand
2) a big slate - make sure to hold it so you don't have a shadow falling on it, gives an uneven reading.
3) I know people that have cut an old bleach bottle apart

the new PADI UW photo course comes with a WB card, white on one side and 18% grey on the other. I get great results from the grey side, but i find it rather large.

Mostly i use an old dive slate, it has yellowed up quite a bit as if something is too white it will give you a pink cast..
So, you want something slightly off white toward grey or cream

I keep a slightly dirtied white shop rag in my BC. Not probaly the most technically accurate way to go, but it wads up small while expanding big so I can hold it out a ways, and I'm not fond of dangly things.

go to ur nearest hobby shop and get some white model building plastic for train sets ( forget the actual name of it). It'll cost ya about a buck. and works great. Nice thing is a standard size piece you can cut in two and now your down to 50 cents a piece so if you loose one your not out anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom