Best Slate for White Balancing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undefined

Quite Refined
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to figure out what the best solution is for bringing down a small white slate to WB off of. Any suggestions?

Uh. One of those white slates that you write on? Just use the side that you haven't written on.

I don't use a slate while diving - hence the reason for the question.

Any particular brand/recommendation for a small white slate? :)

What about using a white, unused, wet note instead? Has someone had success doing that? I carry wet notes in my pocket, but not a slate.

I like the Dive Rite wrist slate

White or neutral gray glove. Much easier than a slate. :)

I usewhite rubber dishwashing gloves. Fits over my diving glove nicely. Kinda dorky looking, but who cares? People on the boat always look at me funny till I show them my white balanced video - no more laughing after that. :) There are lots of dive gloves available too that have white or light gray palms.

If you use a slate, make sure there are some markings - pencil marks would be good - some cameras have to be able to focus and snap a picture to make the white balance measurement.

Best slate for WB would be the Amphibico Color Bar/Grey Scale Color Chart/Underwater White Balance card. PM me with your email address and I will send you an article we have written by Tom Campbell regarding the use of these slates over a standard white card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom