Best single tank wing (and size) for coldwater drysuit diving in HP100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gasgirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been searching the forum and reading other threads but still don't feel like I have any idea what is the right wing for me.

I have used a DSS Torus 35lb wing on a single HP100 tank and although I realize it is due in a large part to my poor trim (which I am working on), I noticed that I had a significantly easier time finding a stable platform while diving a Oxycheq 40lb wing. However, although I can readily control my ascents using the LPI with the Oxycheq, I find it is difficult to vent from the rear dump.

I noticed a number of differences between these two wings I have used:

- the dimensions: DSS was 18in wide x 27in tall vs Oxycheq which was 14in wide x 24in tall.

- the shape: DSS has a much wider lower arc whereas Oxycheq is more rectangular

- the material: DSS wing was fairly floppy and the edges of the wing wrapped around the tank whereas the Oxycheq basically retained the original shape because the outer shell material was so stiff. (I have read other threads that describe how this along with the Oxycheq bladder design stuffed into the shell causes creases which leads to air trapping.)

- location of rear dump OPV: DSS is several inches higher from the bottom edge of the wing whereas the Oxycheq valve sits right at the bottom. When I try to use the rear dump, I feel I have to roll and assume a much more heads down position sticking my left butt cheek waaay up to get the OPV to a high point.

So my current alternative wing options I am considering are:

1. I have read in another post that the DSS LCD 30lb wing is ideally suited for the dimensions of the XS Scuba HP100 tank (7.25in x 24in). However, it is a horseshoe and not a donut design. Note: Tobin had originally suggested I buy the DSS Torus 26lb since I stated I preferred a donut wing but the LDS adamantly vetoed this and ordered the 35lb size for me instead - which I feel is too large for me since I find it hard to stay balanced.

2. I have been told that the Halcyon Eclipse vents extremely easily and is a great single tank wing. There are no measurements available on the website but the ballpark measurements of the Halcyon Eclipse 40lb is similar to the DSS Torus 35lb while the Halcyon Eclipse 30lb is comparable to the DSS LCD 30lb. I have used the Halcyon Eclipse 40lb wing and felt unstable but it was my first attempt at using a BPW set-up. However, I anticipate that I would prefer to get the 30lb size since I can't handle the DSS Torus 35lb currently.

I have been told by the LDS that I need a minimum of 40lb wing for coldwater diving. My drysuit and undergarment has 20lbs buoyancy and my HP100 tank has a buoyancy change of 7.5lbs. I carry 16lbs of unditchable weight (SS backplate with bolt weights and trim weights on cam bands). I am not currently using a canister light but may possibly do so in future.

My goal is to be able to primarily use the rear dump while maintaining horizontal trim during my ascents as taught during my Fundies.

Any advice to help me sort through my dilemma of choosing the different size, design, and OPV options is much appreciated.

I'd agree with Tobin on the DSS 26lb wing. For perspective, I was diving the same wing last month here in Boston, with a steel 72 (about the same buoyancy as an HP100), a DUI CF200 drysuit with 250g undergarment, and 16lb of lead in addition to the 8lb weight of the steel backplate. I was actually over-weighted as it was my first time in the suit and I hadn't fine-tuned things. Regardless, the 26lb wing was enough lift.

If Tobin told me to tie a 2x4 to my plate, I wouldn't let my LDS veto it.

Back
Top Bottom