Best shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,
My buddy and I are stationed at Fort Hood in Killeen. We are looking to make a 5-6 day trip down to the Gulf/coast to get some diving in after we return from Iraq later this year. No clue where to even start as far as research though. Where are your favorite locations? How about Corpus Christie and South Padre? We were thinking about camping out as opposed to staying in a hotel so recommendations for that as well are appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Chris

I think most of the gulf diving is done off boats v shore dives. All you'll see along the shore is sand. There should be boats out of Corpus but the most interesting sounds like the guys that go out of Padre and diive the Texas Clipper and a number of other wrecks and rigs. Another great option would be the Flower Gardens trip. I've never gotten to go but have heard it is fabulous.

Good luck in your research and thank you for your service to us all.

No shore diving to speak up in this area of the gulf...it is not like the area of the gulf in Florida...like Zzzking says take a boat :D

Gulf Diving LLC - Welcome! this liveaboard will take you to the flower gardens blue water and coral...

stay safe....thanks for all you do

Gotta second the Flower Gardens trip, although I definitely suggest a couple dozen more dives before you head out there. It's rated an "intermediate skills" dive location. You could get lucky and the conditions could be glass-flat seas with no currents, but those are pretty unusual conditions for the FG. It very well could be 3-5 foot seas with current that takes your mask right off your face. Still, it's a great trip with lots to see.

And thank you very much for your service. We all owe you more than we can repay. God Bless ya.

No shore diving to speak up in this area of the gulf...it is not like the area of the gulf in Florida...like Zzzking says take a boat :D

Gulf Diving LLC - Welcome! this liveaboard will take you to the flower gardens blue water and coral...

stay safe....thanks for all you do

Hey how much do they charge for a regular trip out there?

Hello all,
My buddy and I are stationed at Fort Hood in Killeen. We are looking to make a 5-6 day trip down to the Gulf/coast to get some diving in after we return from Iraq later this year. No clue where to even start as far as research though. Where are your favorite locations? How about Corpus Christie and South Padre? We were thinking about camping out as opposed to staying in a hotel so recommendations for that as well are appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Chris

Not to sure if you have checked out the two dive facilities here in the Killeen area or not they are Scubadivers Paradise SSI Scuba Divers Paradise and CJ Divers PADI C&J Divers Scuba 2000 both are good places to go dependant on your certification. I am SSI, so I am a member of the Scubadivers Paradise dive club (we do have PADI members) Not to sure if C&J have a dive club or not? We pretty much try to do an event once a month dependant on the weather? The month of May we will dive the Texas Clipper on the 9th and the 16th two separate groups. Last year we dove the Flower Gardens on the Spree. We are planning a camping trip to Blue Lagoon, a trip to Mammoth Park, and a future camping trip to Athens and Possum Kingdom.:D

If I were planning a trip like what you described I would perhaps camp on Mustang Island and check out the shore diving at the Port A jetties. I think some of the Liberty Ship reefs may be close enough to shore to access with a kayak. Google the SS John Worthington, that one is in 10 feet of water. If you are good with the kayak, Seven and a Half Fathom Reef is only 2 miles from shore. I would not expect good visibility while shore diving, but you won't get that in a lake either.
You may also want to consider a lake dive trip. There are plenty of Texas lake dive sites that have campgrounds, air fill stations on site, and are specially designed for diving, for example Windy Point Park and Clear Springs Scuba Park. Check my signature link for a resource for places to dive in Texas.
Have fun with your adventure, whatever it may be!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom