Best semidry wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi. This is Kathy Long with DUI - Diving Unlimited. I agree with Stuartv. If you want to be warm I would strongly look at a drysuit. Women, in general, are colder in the water. Being cold takes the fun out of diving for me.

On the wetsuit. Years ago - and I do mean years :wink: DUI made custom wetsuits. It is fairly easy to take in a wetsuit. Much more difficult to add material to a wetsuit. If you purchase a suit that is a bit to big they are fairly easy to cut, tailor, and glue back together. Find a local shoe repair shop that can do a blind stitch and you can have a very custom fitted wetsuit.

Best of luck on your search.

If you are interested this is an article on women, diving and being cold "Friends Don’t Let WOMEN Dive Cold" - DUI Online - drysuits

I dive a Bare 7/8mm Semi Dry suit in the winters here in Virginia. I find it fine for water temps in mid to up 40s fahrenheit.

I dive a Bare 7/8mm Semi Dry suit in the winters here in Virginia. I find it fine for water temps in mid to up 40s fahrenheit.

+1 on the Bare Velocity SemiDry 7/8mm. It has kept me perfectly warm down to 49F and 70+ft for 30min...But I was swimming a lot...

I hear a few people saying they love using a free diving suit...I hear no detractors to this sentiment...But I have no experience.

Personally I love my Solafx and stay incredibly warm for dives at 16C for an hour. It really has made the cold SoCal waters an enjoyable dive. With a tight fit (most important part) good seals and great construction- I don't feel any water even enter the suit much less circulate. My wife also wears a solafx and I don't think she would dive if she was uncomfortable. I feel like the suit fits really close to what the chart says: but you really should try one before buying. My wife tried on a aqualung and Hollis and didn't like how the Hollis fit despite all the cool features.

I bought a AquaLung SolAfx specifically for diving 18C - 23C Florida springs. I have found it very warm over hour long dives. The wrist and ankle seals are very tight - I've found using neoprene socks really helps with getting the suit on and off.

For its thickness, it is surprisingly easy to get around in after suiting up.

Thank for all the answers and suggestions guys!

I have been trying to find a semidry suit (specially SolAfx, I like what a few of you said about it) that I could try on here in São Paulo before ordering one in the US, but this seems to be an impossible task, as no store has any semidry suits on stock. Apparently selling semidry suits down here is not a good business... :(

I will continue my search, and I am also looking into the other brands/models you guys have suggested!

As for the dry suit, yes, that is what I have been dreaming with for a while now... but unfortunately it is not a good moment in time ($$$) for me to buy one... hopefully someday, when things get better! :)

It's definitely all about fit. I feel the same way about my bare velocity as is described above by the solafx owners.

That being said, the mako 7mm suit really seems like the way to go to me right now. You'll end up with 14mm on your torso so I think it's the cheapest, warmest and most flexible of all options.

If I was buying again now, even though I have zero complaints about my velocity, I would probably get the Mako.

I have the Nova Scotia 6.5mm and I dive in San Diego waters. My last dive was about 55 degrees at 75 ft. This suit has kept me nice and warm throughout the 20 or so dives since I got the suit. +1 for Nova Scotia!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom