Best Scubaboard Posters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought of a couple more this morning. I agree with (I think it was) Rob that Charlie99 has had a bunch of REALLY good posts here. I miss him, too.

I liked him too.... and I'm afraid to ask.... a lot happend in the year I was gone... he didn't ...... you know ..... did he?

DA Aquamaster has written some excellent pieces on regulator function, from which I have learned a lot.
I don't read many of the regulator posts but in this area, DA Aquamaster is certainly the man to listen to! He's earned my respect.

Someone made a wonderful point about specialties . . . Although I can't name names, I recognize and appreciate the time spent by people who offer their time and expertise answering questions like, "What's the best stuff for cleaning tank marks off a fiberglass boat?"

Yeah... and not let's forget Dr. Deco. He's been here for years answering our questions about deco theory with the absolute authority and conviction of the true master. Scubaboard is rich with bonafide experts who demand respect. Likewise, the quasi-experts whose ego driven aversion to the "light" of scrutiny are conspicuously absent here. Or they make 1 post per year to push their pill.....

R..

Earlier in this thread I differentiated between people whose posts I value and those whose posts I do not value. I just read a thread with an exasperating example of a variation of one of my "don't value" characterizations.

It was a typical thread in which a new diver asks a very simple question with a relatively simple factual answer. The first two posts came from knowledgeable posters who answered the question thoroughly and offered additional advice. About a dozen posts followed with more additional advice, much of it variations of what had come before.

And then, a couple days later, came a post that attempted to answer the original factual question. This poster, however, was openly not knowledgeable and took a guess on the answer. The guess was not totally wrong, but it was not totally right, either.

I guess this sort of thing baffles me. I don't understand people who come to an old thread, read the first post, and then attempt to answer a basic question with a wild guess without bothering to read a single post that follows first. When I come to such a thread and don't know the answer exactly, I prefer to read the rest of the posts to see if I can learn something rather than toss out a guess that confuses others and leaves me in ignorance myself.

I guess this sort of thing baffles me. I don't understand people who come to an old thread, read the first post, and then attempt to answer a basic question with a wild guess without bothering to read a single post that follows first. When I come to such a thread and don't know the answer exactly, I prefer to read the rest of the posts to see if I can learn something rather than toss out a guess that confuses others and leaves me in ignorance myself.

Yeah, I'll also add to this that I'll never understand people who give dive advice without fully knowing what they are talking about, it's pretty simple, if you don't have an answer, leave it for someone who does.

Yeah, I'll also add to this that I'll never understand people who give dive advice without fully knowing what they are talking about, it's pretty simple, if you don't have an answer, leave it for someone who does.

If I could thank this post 527 times I would.

People don't realize how much expertise we have in house. If they don't know the answer then they should shut up and listen!

R..

I liked wormil and all his various pseudonyms. Maybe not the best advice but one of the better posters.

I think you'll get a clearer answer by finding out which SB poster has the highest percentage of "thanks" per posting.

Well who might that be? I would suggest ScubaSteve may very well run away with that category. Let's quickly look at the numbers. As of this posting, he has made 18,551 posts and been "Thanked" an incredible 39,139 times. That gives him a ratio of 2.109805401 thanks for each time he has posted. And the best part is these are not some frivolous "Thanks" that have no meaning to them. These are not some inflated numbers because he belongs to a "Thank You" club. These were people who carefully studied what he had to say, evaluated what was said, and then willingly and without pressure from any other person said, "Thank you for that useful post."

He has raised the bar to such a level that no one may ever be able to catch him.

If I could thank this post 527 times I would.

People don't realize how much expertise we have in house. If they don't know the answer then they should shut up and listen!

R..

But people don't know what they don't know...or as Bruce Lee said "Before I learned martial arts, a punch was just a punch and a kick was just a kick. When I studied martial arts, a punch was no longer just a punch and a kick was no longer just a kick. Now I understand martial arts, and a punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick."

Basically, at many points in your life, you think you have all (most) of the answers but few of us ever do. Can't blame someone with a "little" experince thinking that a "little "problems is well within their grasp to answer (and it may or may not be, depending on the size of each "little")

Yall, do an excellent job, it is rare that anything I would say has not been said in a post. I love most of the humor and also enjoy the handling of Trolls with finesse and the proper amount of PC butt kicking. I enjoy reading threads on topics I know nothing about, and thank you all for being nice when I post something stupid.

my favorites for nomination because I learned something from them are, TsandM, RJP, rhoneman, and for expressing opinions that are helpful, blackwood,nwGD, and for humor, onespeed, and a few that are not coming to mind, sorry but I love the humor ones the most.

Well who might that be? I would suggest ScubaSteve may very well run away with that category. Let's quickly look at the numbers. As of this posting, he has made 18,551 posts and been "Thanked" an incredible 39,139 times. That gives him a ratio of 2.109805401 thanks for each time he has posted. And the best part is these are not some frivolous "Thanks" that have no meaning to them. These are not some inflated numbers because he belongs to a "Thank You" club. These were people who carefully studied what he had to say, evaluated what was said, and then willingly and without pressure from any other person said, "Thank you for that useful post."

He has raised the bar to such a level that no one may ever be able to catch him.

And here I am with no speech :blush:...what did I win? A trip to Wakatobi?

Back
Top Bottom