Best Scubaboard Posters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the ones who are fully aware that this is just an obscure internet discussion board and it's only words...and no matter what anyone else says, it's only an opinion if not a blantant attempt to get a response out of them; and they are almost impossible to offend.

You know who I'm talking about...they respond to off topic, baseless, rude and insulting posts by taking the high road, while at the same time standing their ground, but never losing their cool. As compared to those who sort of snap as if you've broken into their house and ransacked their personal belongs, forced their significant others into lewd sex acts, and went as far as to hang a pair of their underwear (labeled with their name of course) from the flagpole at town hall.

They're the ones who click on "report post" before they've even got to the bottom of the first sentence of a post that seems "offensive" to them. But they're still not as bad as the ones who say "I am going to put you on my ignore list if you do not cease those terrible posts!"

On this board the only member I can think of off the top of my head who is completely and utterly troll resistant is Cave Diver. The guy is unshakable and smart as Hell but there's gotta be a way.

My favorite posters are the ones who agree with me!

My least favorite posters are the ones who think TSandM generally has something valuable to write!*

*She's at work and may not see this so I'm safe -- and then she's off to Mexico and she'll forget anything I've written.

My favorite posters are the ones who agree with me!

My least favorite posters are the ones who think TSandM generally has something valuable to write!*

*She's at work and may not see this so I'm safe -- and then she's off to Mexico and she'll forget anything I've written.

:D What's it worth to you not to tell? :eyebrow: I'll be in Mexico when y'all are!

There are so many people I respect and value here.

Uncle Pug, I sorely miss. I also learned a lot from, and often quote, Mike Ferrara. I miss Doc Intrepid's incredible ability to get right to the heart of an issue, and often coin the most amusing words in the process (stroketastic!) Diver0001 has a gift for coming into a thread and asking a question that rocks me back on my haunches and makes me completely rethink my position.

HBDiveGirl and Mo2vation, who have become close personal friends, influenced me greatly with their humor and their vivid writing. Reg Braithewaite is another thoughtful, articulate person who asks good questions (and whose Facebook feed comes up with the most interesting links!) I love boulderjohn's posts, especially about education theory, and I think reading them has made me a better mentor. Rick Murchison has written some wonderful essays, and always brings a great pragmatism and enormous kindness to the board.

Thal has written some wonderful stories to read, in addition to his pieces about the history of diving organizations and politics. Trace Malinowski writes extremely well, even if prolix (a vice to which I am also prone).

And no list would be even satisfactorily incomplete if we didn't talk about the photographer people, who enormously enrich my board life. People like Gilligan, and DiverDennis, and mjh, and rhlee, and Mo2, and alcina, and lourin . . . I can't even begin to list the wonderful still photographers. Then you have video folks like mjh and Gombessa and KMD and the great cave folks, and it goes on. I think the photographers don't get nearly enough recognition for the effort they put into not only capturing their images, but processing and uploading them so that we can all enjoy them.

Funny; I was just debating posting about the oversight of Diver0001 in the preceding lists, and then I find this (with no self-nomination!).

So, I would add to the previous lists: Diver0001. Consistently well-written, sober, well-considered advice. His replies to my "How many dives did you have?" thread in the solo diving forum (beginning with "What's the question behind this question?") delayed my entry into solo diving by at least six months, which was probably a good thing.

-JLV

I have a few favorites whose posts I usually read with interest. Like BoulderJohn I won't name them for fear of forgetting someone, but I will say he's on my list.

The people I like to read are the ones who have something pertinent to say but who are open to respectful discussion and willing to accept that their own point of view is just that, a point of view....one of many!

I also especially like posters who draw people out in a way that makes them think about their own thinking by asking "why" and "how" questions (sincere ones, not the cynical rhetorical ones). These people are trying to first understand before being understood (Covey's 5th Habit) and I really like reading people who have the maturity to stand back and observe the thinking non-judgementally without becoming wrapped up, sometimes emotionally, in it. It is possible to discuss something, even when points of view differ, without having a need to "win" the discussion. You can see it when people do this. These discussions are useful, informative and full of mutual respect.

People who start to believe that their point of view is the *only* point of view are closing their minds and when this happens it becomes difficult to discuss things with them. The ones who take it to the point of becoming closed minded and angry/cynical I don't like much at all. If they also become rude and/or belligerent if you don't agree with them then there is really no point in discussion. Nobody likes to wrestle with a pig. You can see these people coming a mile away too because their posts usually boil down in essence to saying "I am better than you because...." and threads where they participate heavily usually end up with an edgy, argumentative and disrespectful tone.

I like the real jokers too but not because of their scuba content. All work and no play makes Jack a (proverbial) dull boy and it's nice to have a generous sprinkling comic relief in the discussions too. Diving is fun so why shouldn't discussions about diving be fun too? :)

R..

I haven't seen Jeff G nominated yet either, but I he is one of the best at coming into a thread with a well placed sarcasm bomb. :landmine:

There are some folks on SB who write with such skill, clarity, and generosity that I am both grateful and impressed.

Well, I supposed JeffG would qualify under the OP's standard. :shakehead:

RJP has some pretty entertaining posts

Back
Top Bottom