Best Scubaboard Posters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bet a lot of us females who hang out around here prefer dive gear and dive holidays to diamonds. They got it something else wrong about diamonds the way I see it.. Diamonds aren't forever... memories are better... they last as long as it really matters :)

2005-05-24-12-21-42.jpg

Born in Elizabeth, grew up in Union, escaped for a few years for college, moved back to Basking Ridge... now in the wilds of Somerset County and Long Beach Island.

Where/when were you in Union? I lived off of Summit Road, near Kean College from 66-83.

Vauxhall Road ... circa 1965-1968 ... at which point we moved to Edison ... which I escaped from two years later ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The very good posters-TSandM, NWGD, RJP, are honest, but always polite-sometimes with a little edge-never TSandM-might explain her #1 rating.

I always enjoy seeing the "regulars" post. This board seems to have matured with fewer flame wars. The more information provided the better it is for us all, new and old alike.

Vauxhall Road ... circa 1965-1968 ... at which point we moved to Edison ... which I escaped from two years later ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

"Local boy makes good..."

:crafty:

I bet a lot of us females who hang out around here prefer dive gear and dive holidays to diamonds. They got it something else wrong about diamonds the way I see it.. Diamonds aren't forever... memories are better... they last as long as it really matters :)

I think my wife prefers ..........................................................................both.

Not a fan of apostrophes, then?

Eh up! Aa'll tell thee summat, then!

"Five foot and only the bugs see it unfurled in all its glory. The only thing you should wrap around your neck are a womans, arms. Or a mans." (sic) B]Knowone[/B], on the question of 5' or 7' hose for DIR.
Well, in his post above, Mike Boswell actually drew my attention to the missing apostrophes when he quoted your message and added "sic". "Sic", Latin for "thus", is used "when writing quoted material to indicate that an incorrect or unusual spelling, phrase, punctuation or meaning in the quote has been reproduced verbatim from the original and is not a transcription error." Still, as he says, apostrophe omission may have a theological basis, so I won't quibble further.

Eh up! Aa'll tell thee summat, then!

Excellent! :) That'll go down well when you're next in Yorkshire. In my neck of the woods, Tyneside, two counties further north than Yorkshire in England, the equivalent greeting is "Howway the lads", roughly translating as "come on, boys" and deriving from football (soccer) chants at Newcastle United's St James' Park stadium. When US President Jimmy Carter visited Tyneside on 6 May, 1977, James Callaghan, the then UK Prime Minister, accompanied him and taught him to say "Howway the lads" when he addressed the crowd. He immediately captured everybody's hearts in North East England. More here, a photo and a video:
The Jimmy Carter Stone
some-of-tim-callaghan-s-photos-of-jimmy-carter-s-visit-to-newcastle-109217709.jpg

YouTube - Newcastle - President Carter 1977

"Howway the lads." Australian Aerial Ping Pong League, originating in Melbourne Victoria. Collingwood Football Club, The Magpies. "Carn the Pies," roughly translating as, "come on the Pies." Thank you. Cheers, roughly translating as cheers. But you probably knew all that. Cheers.

Well, magpies may be another thing we have in common, both because they're now a common bird species here on Tyneside - they even scare the cats away - and because the local soccer team, Newcastle United, is known as "The Magpies" because they play in black and white shirts.

I'm afraid Australia is something of a closed book to me, other than what I've picked up, long ago, when watching "Neighbours" on TV. That sitcom led here in the UK to dozens of baby girls being named "Kylie", university being called "uni" and young people finishing their sentences with a rising intonation even when they weren't asking a question. I seem to remember several characters in that series leaving Melbourne for "Brizzie", never to be heard of again. I expect they were enjoying themselves too much up there, within reach, as they were, of the Gold Coast and the Great Barrier Reef. :)

Back
Top Bottom