Best Scuba Multitool Thread - The Tool to Replace All Tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakpix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I'm getting into tech. Just ordered a HOG D1, and though i shouldn't have to service it for at least a year, I'm looking forward to self-servicing as much of my equipment as possible, within reason. So I'm looking at tools, specifically multitools. My "Scuba Toolmaster" Scuba Tool Master SCOM111 with reviews at scuba.com purchased back when i was young and foolish (was?) is a pile of guano! In short, what is the "Leatherman Wave" of Scuba multitools? The last multitool you'll need for 95% of self-repair and servicing? And if such a tool doesn't exist, why not?

A multi-tool is fine, but it is limited in what it can do, and that is basically to add or remove regs hoses, etc, it really has very little utility in terms of actual repairs or servicing.

Given the large number of backgas, stagre and deco regs involved for two of us, I like to go prepared. I have a small dry box with a 6" cresent wrench, a small breaker bar, 6mm long reach allen wrench, 5/32 allen wrench, 3 or 4 annual service kits for my first and second stages, o-ring picks, a first stage wrench, some Christolube, and any specialty tools needed to to service my regs (scubatools.com) as well as common spares such as a new diaphragm, exhaust valve, HP spool and a few port plugs.

About the only thing I don't take along is a torque wrench, and for a field repair I can guestimate that fairly closely.

I'm with DA on this one. The only 2 "multi tools" I will use on my bench are a good quality adjustable wrench (even then only when its necessary- ie. I do not have a particular wrench) and a fold out allen wrench set, otherwise get real tools. I do carry a multitool and an adjustable when diving but those are for emergency repairs, not bench work. I don't do the tech diving DA does so I just carry a spare reg..or 2...or 3....got too many regs. :)

I carry a multi-tool like the one pictured, an adjustable wrench, a pair of soft jawed pliers and a couple allen wrenches. I don't plan on doing any servicing in the field. I also carry a complete spare reg. Most "repairs" I plan to do will simply be swapping major components. But I will do a minor adjustment of an orifice just to tweak performance if necessary.

Over the years I've never really found the "perfect one-tool-fits-all" tool. The Scuba.com tool master is just one version of that same type thing that's been around for years and years. It's really not meant to be the perfect for everything tool but rather compliment the average diver's save-a-dive-kit. It's a great thing to have in a pinch for something minor but if you are seriously technically minded it's not enough of a tool as many functions require 2 tools. Screws with nuts, removing a console from a hose, removing a 2nd stage and such.

Over the years I've found that for my personal kit, I like a couple of small adjustable wrenches of decent quality (as the cheap ones never seem to stay tight), a couple screw drivers, a multi-tool, a pair of good safety shears, a small allen wrench set and a quarter coin to change computer batteries with. It's not as convenient as the elusive multi-tool but it's not terribe in a kit, and it's been a rare occasion I've not been able to take care of most issues that might arise on the spur of the moment.

Hi rakpix,
The one I use has already been superseded by the newer models. All I can say is that their endurance and durability is excellent. The knife is super sharp and the tool breaks down in 2 for easy use.
They're on display at most good bike stores. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom