Best scuba advice you’ve received

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it was around 1985 or 86.
An old school diver said " purchase an IP gauge", I did, and it started me down the road to , now what, how do I service this thing called a regulator?
This one.
20210916_095716.jpg

I wonder if anyone has ever died because they were only able to maintain buoyancy until they farted.
A more risky scenario would probably be someone has the squirts, dirtied their wetsuit, and then tried to clean it up underwater.

Don't hold your breath

Best SCUBA advice I've ever received is............" ANY SCUBA advice received on an internet forum should be taken with a grain of salt".

"Take a few breaths off all your regulators before you jump in"

Yup.

But better: Charge all your regs. Count the breaths it takes before each one stops delivering air. Before hitting the water, open the valves and take the largest number of breaths you recorded for any reg from each one of them. For me, that's 3 full breaths for the reg with the long hose. So I take 3 breaths out of every reg I'll use on a dive, even though the deco regs take about one breath each. (In this case, keeping it simple eliminates an opportunity for error.)

Yup.

But better: Charge all your regs. Count the breaths it takes before each one stops delivering air. Before hitting the water, open the valves and take the largest number of breaths you recorded for any reg from each one of them. For me, that's 3 full breaths for the reg with the long hose. So I take 3 breaths out of every reg I'll use on a dive, even though the deco regs take about one breath each. (In this case, keeping it simple eliminates an opportunity for error.)

I didn't understand the underlined.

Don't panic and use your brain.

Best advice I ever got from my OW instructor after I qualified was "choose who you dive with carefully"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom