Best sale price for oceanic geo 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the Geo2.0 is the best computer for the money and is far better and easier to use than the DG03. I've had both, and wouldn't recommend the DG03 to anyone over the Geo2.0. You'll be happy with the Geo at ~$250 if you can snag it at that. I'd call online and local retailers to see what their best price is. They can/will often sell lower than they're allowed to advertise at.

Really I just want something that:
- Has at least 2 buttons
- Uses BHL algorithm (this is the hardest to find affordably)
- Supports nitrox
- Has an affordable data transfer cable

Seems impossible to find.

I don't see a problem: any shearwater, ratio or ostc should fit the bill perfectly.
(I.e, you forgot to put "for under $200" on your list.)

. I'd call online and local retailers to see what their best price is. They can/will often sell lower than they're allowed to advertise at.

Second this - I bought my Geo 2.0 from LP when it was first introduced and paid much less than the advertised price by calling.

Second this - I bought my Geo 2.0 from LP when it was first introduced and paid much less than the advertised price by calling.

Just kind of torn if it's worth 2x as much as say, a Mares Puck ($125) to get an extra button and buhlman instead of rgbm algorithm. That's quite a bit different. One upside I could see though is that if I ever buy a Perdix AI the Z+ algorithm should be closer to what shearwater is using in rec mode (40/85) and I could use it as a backup.

if I ever buy a Perdix AI the Z+ algorithm should be closer to what shearwater is using in rec mode

Says who? Nobody knows what PZ+ is, and shearwater might tell you if they do anything other than straight gas loading + NDL calculations in their 'rec' mode. If you ask nicely.

Just kind of torn if it's worth 2x as much as say, a Mares Puck ($125) to get an extra button and buhlman instead of rgbm algorithm. That's quite a bit different. One upside I could see though is that if I ever buy a Perdix AI the Z+ algorithm should be closer to what shearwater is using in rec mode (40/85) and I could use it as a backup.

I dive an almost 8 year old Oceanic VT3 running DSAT as my primary computer. I dived a Nitek Q running Buhlmann ZH-L16C for about a year and a half, a little over 250 dives, to gain experience with the algorithm and GFs. Though 45/95 is a reasonable approximation of DSAT, it is far from a perfect match and is significantly different at times. Even diving a GF hi of 90, 95, and 100 does not allow for a close match at times. I've learned quite a bit about Buhlmann with GFs and will likely have a primary computer running that algorithm at some point, if my VT3 ever dies. I would imagine the story would be the same in trying to match PZ+, 40/85 is a reasonable first approximation.

I've now gone back to using my Geo 2 as my backup, nice when the 2 computers run within 30 seconds of one another. The only way to get matching primary and backup computers is to have them running the same algorithm.

A Geo 2 running DSAT and PZ+ will likely be a better backup to a computer running Buhlmann with GF, but it will certainly be less than perfect.

I honestly think so. The Geo2.0 is easier to read and is easier to use. PelagicZ+ will certainly behave kinda like Buhlmann as that's what it's based on, and DSAT is a more liberal algo if that's your preference (though I prefer PZ+).

I have a fairly fervent hatred of the RGBM and derivative algorithms, so that might be a factor.

Hi @ls1dreams

I don't think you will find a Geo 2 for less than $200. Call Leisurepro for their best price, I've heard of it for $250..

I went to LP in person and was looking at Suunto D4i & the Geo 2. Once the salesperson quoted me $250 for the Geo 2, I was done and loaded up on a few other odds & ends. Definitely worth calling.

It's a good beginner computer, but I recently felt the need to get something better and invested in a Shearwater. Didn't know about Shearwater at the time I bought the Geo 2 nor would I have spent the money at the time. I'm now more invested in diving (literally and figuratively).

While I'm tempted to leap right to shearwater, I'm not sure I love diving enough to justify it. I don't live in an area with much water nearby, so most of my diving is on my one big vacation per year. I do plan to try to sneak in a few more dive trips this year to see if I continue to like it, though. Maybe I should just continue to use rentals for a bit and hope that someone comes up with an affordable buhlman computer.

The other thing that bothers me is that at double the price of a puck, i'm also still not getting air integration which is a big appeal. Kind of annoying to get a dive computer on your wrist but then still have to look down at your console anyway.

In another line of thought, I could maybe buy a used perdix AI, and sell it for roughly what I paid for it if I end up not using it much...

A fair number of divers that use wrist computers don't use or want air integration. I have a Predator and two Perdix's. As well as an older veo250 and a Cosmiq. Plus two OMS/Uwatec bottom timers. None have AI though one of my Perdix's is the AI version. Unless someone gives me a transmitter it'll never see one. You also generally don't use a console with a wrist comp. Just a simple SPG.
And if you are in DC as your profile says, there is a lot of diving near you. Heck, the Atlantic is right there!

Back
Top Bottom