best reg for upside down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if price has anything to do with it. I'm sure there are less expensive regs that work well inverted. I can really only offer an opinion the reqs that I have used in that situation. I have an Oceanic Alpha 7 that did fine inverted and it's a fairly inexpensive reg.

I use a Scubapro D350 second stage, works great inverted compared to my other conventional Scubapro and Aqualung secondstages.

Sometimes I like to scuba upside down to gaze at the surface, but my reg (a lower end oceanic) won't really allow it, it breathes completely wet. ...can anyone advise me on a reg that will allow me to breathe upside down?
Thanks Pamela

I picked up a ScubaPro MK2PLUS/R190 a few years ago. It still breathes completely
dry in all attitudes. And it works down to at least 145'. I love it. You can get one from Leisure Pro for ~$150.

I'll frequently go upside down to peek in holes or just goofing off. My reg is completely dry and not expensive -- Aqualung Titan LX.

For a long time I thought everybody's worked just like mine -- didn't know what a "wet" regulator was.

thanks everybody!

Looks like the regs you're recommending are all more expensive than my cheap lil wet Oceanic...

Did I possibly get what I paid for?

Sometimes I like to scuba upside down to gaze at the surface, but my reg (a lower end oceanic) won't really allow it, it breathes completely wet.

Since I don't have the time to develop gills, can anyone advise me on a reg that will allow me to breathe upside down?

Pamela

Think of the "dry mouth" you are avoiding.

I'll frequently go upside down to peek in holes or just goofing off. My reg is completely dry and not expensive -- Aqualung Titan LX.

For a long time I thought everybody's worked just like mine -- didn't know what a "wet" regulator was.

I have a Legend LX Supreme, and always thought the same thing when people used the "breathes wet" phrase - wondered what they meant.

The wet breathing part can be avoided easily; most regs when tuned well and in good shape should not breathe wet in any position. As far as the increase in effort, the scubapro D400 (or D350) will work great due to the unusual geometry of the case. You'd have to find a used one and get it rebuilt, but that's not a big deal.

In some instances you do get what you pay for but, never think that you have to go and spend hundreds of dollars to get good equipment. For the most part you don't spend all of your time gazing up when you dive. If you wanted to look at the sky you might have picked a different sport..LOL In any event dive what you have as long as it's reliable and save a little each week to get something new, look at Leisurepro for some of the regs mentioned here. Eventually you'll have a rubbermaid container full of regs and other equiptment.haha

The wet breathing part can be avoided easily; most regs when tuned well and in good shape should not breathe wet in any position. As far as the increase in effort, the scubapro D400 (or D350) will work great due to the unusual geometry of the case. You'd have to find a used one and get it rebuilt, but that's not a big deal.

What does wet breathing have to do with regulator tune? I know tune rules on work of breathing and that sort of stuff. I always though wet breathing was a property of the exhaust valve, the case design and how well it managed to reject water entry during exhale when in an awkward attitude in the water.

My Sherwood's don't breath very wet and I never really tried but I would almost think a quick exhale to let the valve open and close and be done with it would be the biggest modifier short of the valve being worn or there being dirt in there.

Another solution is to dive a double hose regulator.

Pete

TX50, a little moist when inverted
S600, Sahara dry
XTX50, Im not sure if I ever tried my backup inverted, will try Wednesday
Crappy Magnum2 Sherwood, codensation

Back
Top Bottom