Best Reg for the Money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No insider joke....
DCBC made a comment about a reg being used as a hammer and I posted a pic of one that had and then made a list of very inappropriate tools to rebuild a reg with.

Ah, I see. After lots of though I've decided maybe self-maintenece is not the way for me to go, at least until I have a lot more experience under my belt. I've been looking at a few discounted Mares regs. How do people like their warranties?

Last edited:
Regulators are really reliable and really simple....warranties are rarely needed.
Recalls from the factory occasionally happen but you'd have to work hard to break a regulator.....tank fall on 2nd stage, hook a 2nd stage under a bench seat or ladder and stand up or fall off the back of a pickup attached to a tank are the most common cause of damage.

If you change your mind about servicing the actual tools needed to service the one I posted a picture of are:

Intermediate pressure gauge.
Large flat head screwdriver (not really the best tool but will do the job).
12" adjustable spanner.
Pick or pin/needle.

Wow, I forgot just how much tools it doesn't take;

For a Zeagle DSV I just took apart (to remember):
1 pin spanner (or a serious grip)
1 1/4 " allen wrench
1 3/16" allen wrench (if you want to replace the "soft orifice (sp)."

"

Regulators are really reliable and really simple....warranties are rarely needed.
Recalls from the factory occasionally happen but you'd have to work hard to break a regulator.....tank fall on 2nd stage, hook a 2nd stage under a bench seat or ladder and stand up or fall off the back of a pickup attached to a tank are the most common cause of damage.

If you change your mind about servicing the actual tools needed to service the one I posted a picture of are:

Intermediate pressure gauge.
Large flat head screwdriver (not really the best tool but will do the job).
12" adjustable spanner.
Pick or pin/needle.

I meant warranties more in terms of free parts, etc. Are there Mares regs with warranties that still cover parts if service is done at two-year intervals?

If a line specifies their "free parts" are dependent on yearly service it would likely cover all in that line. And by the way those parts are not free. You just pay for them on the front end when you buy the reg. They just don't tell you that. And when you pay the labor charge every year even though the reg does not need it for most recreational divers that take reasonable care of their gear you are still paying for those parts. Many of us got out of the free parts game when we realized what a scam marketing tool it really is.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I don't service my own regs. I have no desire to. If the free parts for life is a scam marketing tool for some, it isn't for others. I will take my regs in for 2 year service intervals. If I was a pro or had aspirations of being one I might look at it differently. Alas, I have no desire to service my own regs and even less desire to go professional. So there is no value for some, for others it is of value.

Last edited:
If a line specifies their "free parts" are dependent on yearly service it would likely cover all in that line. And by the way those parts are not free. You just pay for them on the front end when you buy the reg. They just don't tell you that.

That might be a little miss leading, yes the reg in a region that offers parts for life have a higher cost but is it really that much more when you start looking at the cost of service kits? no not really. is an every year rebuild really needed? not for most people. it is mostly marketing to get you back into your local shop to buy other things like new equip, or dive trips.

as far as annual service goes you are looking at around $75 labor to have a first stage and 2 seconds serviced. in the case of mares regs the 1st stage service kit is $15 and the carbon/proton 2nd stage kit is $23 for each. the hp poppet is changed every other year and is your cost as in not covered in parts for life.

if you self service and go years between service sure you will save money, however for me and I know everybody is different, I have the service done every year one to keep me in the parts for life program, and second when I get to a dive destination I don't want to guess if I have pushed it to far or will my regs work fine. part of the reason I bought my own regs was so I would know how they have been taken care of. but if you go just 2 years between service you saved your self about $15 not really worth it as far as im concerned.

I went with a Mk25 and G250v second stages and love them. Have you talked to anyone at IDC? Very GUE friendly over there.

If the free parts for life is a scam marketing tool for some, it isn't for others. I will take my regs in for 2 year service intervals.

Typically the free parts programs have required annual service, but lately a few of the manufacturers are switching to every two years. It's still a scam, and here's why:

First, for 'average' recreational use, meaning 50 dives/year or less, regulators that are well cared for can easily go far longer than 2 years between service; maybe 5 years or more. About the only thing likely to need some attention might be the 2nd stage seat, and that's likely just an adjustment. Of course, not everyone cares for their regulator well.

Second, the true cost for these 'parts' is mere pennies. Maybe a dozen o-rings that are certainly less than a nickel each at wholesale, and a couple of plastic seats that are likewise very inexpensive to produce and inventory.

A big part of the scam is the gall that regulator companies have in charging $20-30 for the rebuild kits which consist of these parts. This artificially inflates the value of the 'free' parts. Once you find low-cost sources for the o-rings and seats, parts cost for rebuilding many regulators is only a couple of dollars. Some 2nd stages are far less.

What would be 'reasonable' or 'fair' pricing for regulator service would be about $5 for a parts kit, maybe $25-35 in labor, per stage, as needed. For most recreational divers this would be once every several years.

Back
Top Bottom