Best Reg for the Money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe a bit over dramatic but I can't remember the last time I went out on a recreational boat and not have it happen to someone at least once.
It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine along with using the tank air to blast the dust cover when packing up.
For the OP that will be diving in cold conditions it might be more than just an annoyance.

Best bang for buck and best extreme cold water reg would be a used Conshelf or SEA/Cousteau with an enviro seal coupled with an Arctic or Glacia unbalanced 2nd stage.

A reg is far more personal than a BC or a computer.

I don't think that's true at all. Pretty much any decent regulator does the same thing, with very small variances in performance. That's why everyone has his/her 'best' regulator, and they're all different. BCs, however, can be very different, for example a hogarthian BP/W system compared with a padded jacket BC. Very different to dive with.

Mostly what sells regulators is hype and fear. They're actually very simple devices that have barely changed (functionally) in decades.

The best 'bang for the buck' in regulators is absolutely a used simple set like the MK2, MK10, or aqualung titan for under $100. But, you have to know what you're looking at and be willing to service the regs yourself or have a decent source for parts and service. By artificially inflating the cost of rebuild kits, and then offering them for 'free' with annual service on new regs, the dive gear industry is simply trying to de-value used regs. People fall for it ALL the time.....saying that you have to factor in the cost of servicing used regs, and that can easily double the purchase cost. Not really, because you have to service new regs too, just presumably one less time over the life of the reg.

Usually that is not the reg. It's divers who have bought them and did not read the manual, were never shown or told how to use the venturi and breathing adjustment knob, or simply don't pay attention to what they are doing with their reg. Even a non adjustable that is finely tuned like I used to keep my BRUT and Blizzard will do that if the diver is careless. No reflection at all on the reg. And as them being another item to wear out? Bull caca. No more than the o rings and seats in a non adjustable and the kits for some regs are no more expensive.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

There is an AL Legend in the classifieds for $350. Don't know anything about it but that's a good deal.

Could you please elaborate on why you dislike HOG? I know that they're relatively new to the scene but that's about the extent of my knowledge about them.

Unfortunately, in some cases where the dislike is coming from a shop owner or employee, it seems that the problem may be that HOG/Edge treats the divers as their customers more than the shops (online sales, independent dealers, parts sales) and many shops don't like that. Other manufacturesrs act as those there retailing shops are their customers and want as little to do with divers as possible. HOG policies are perceived to conflict with typical scuba shop business models.

locus:
I asked about this at my LDS, but the owner told me that they don't really rent out the new hotness. Seemed a little strange to me; what better way to sell the new stuff than to let people try it out?
That is both unfortunate and foolish. In that case, maybe try the most recent offering from each mfg. Just a thought.

halocline:
I don't think that's true at all. Pretty much any decent regulator does the same thing, with very small variances in performance. That's why everyone has his/her 'best' regulator, and they're all different. BCs, however, can be very different, for example a hogarthian BP/W system compared with a padded jacket BC. Very different to dive with.
I wasn't talking about functionality, I was talking about fit and comfort. I found various brands mouthpieces to be very different. I can't think of diving with any worse piece of equipment than an uncomfortable mouthpiece. Even vent ports can be an issue, sending bubbles right up into your face. I agree with your point on the BP/W v. jacket, but personally, I'd rather have an uncomfortable BC than an uncomfortable reg.

The new Dive Rite reg is the best bang for the buck. It's under $500 bucks. It has a real lifetime parts guarantee that is quite simply unmatched anywhere. It breathes like a dream. Dive Rite has excellent customer support. Oh, and as an added bonus, that new reg can be used as a left or a right reg, simply by switching where the hose goes into the 2nd stage body. Now that's friggin awesome. If I remember correctly, the new XT reg has the lowest cracking pressure to breathe of any regulator ever.

Have you tuned one before? How low can you set it before it freeflows? I can get my SP A700 below 1.0 (on a real magnehelic) with no freeflow, and usually set it to about 1.1 so it's not too sensitive while still breathing very easy. I am considering a couple XT seconds for my doubles/SM regs which are DR 1208 1st stages with the 5th port added.

Thanks.

The downside of a 2nd stage that needs knobs and levers to get max performance is that if left adjusted to the max on the surface, on the boat or out of the mouth the slightest touch of the purge will set of a continuous violent freeflow that will only stop when the mouthpiece is covered.....the last thing you want when diving in cold conditions.

This is why I previously suggested a simple unbalanced metal 2nd stage like the Mares MRII/III, Voltrex/Abyss that have excellent performance without the need for knobs and levers and don't accidently freeflow at the drop of a hat.

Would you include the Mares carbon 42 with the models you recommend? I'm mulling picking one up new for $400. Is that a good price?

---------- Post added June 6th, 2013 at 06:36 PM ----------

Mostly what sells regulators is hype and fear. They're actually very simple devices that have barely changed (functionally) in decades.

The best 'bang for the buck' in regulators is absolutely a used simple set like the MK2, MK10, or aqualung titan for under $100. But, you have to know what you're looking at and be willing to service the regs yourself or have a decent source for parts and service. By artificially inflating the cost of rebuild kits, and then offering them for 'free' with annual service on new regs, the dive gear industry is simply trying to de-value used regs. People fall for it ALL the time.....saying that you have to factor in the cost of servicing used regs, and that can easily double the purchase cost. Not really, because you have to service new regs too, just presumably one less time over the life of the reg.

A very interesting take on used regs. Makes a lot of sense when you put it that way.

What is involved in learning how to service one's own regs? Does it require much mechanical experience?

It requires some. If you can rebuild a lawn mower carb or do your own brakes you can rebuild reg. Some do require specialized tools but not a lot of them. The main issue for most is getting the service kits. Some mfg's are really strict and only sell to.authorized dealers. And if the dealer gets caught selling them to you they can lose their dealership. Others will allow their dealers to sell them to whoever wants them.

Training is available as are books. Again some mfg's will only train techs working for a dealer and if the tech leaves the shop they will not sell kits to the tech. Even though he is supposedly a factory authorized and trained technician.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom