Best quality tropical wetsuit - which brand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many have made comments regarding the Hyperstretchs ability to keep as warm as other suits. Dove my 7/5 yesterday with a Microprene under it in 57 temp waters and was never cold. Made 2 dives but did not have deco obligation so I can't make that comparison. Several guys in dry suits were very cold which surprised me.

Bob3:
The main issue with Hyperstretch & similar material comes from its tendency to compress more at depth, a tradeoff that needs to be addressed when selecting any suit.

Does it make that much difference with a 3mm suit?

Does it make that much difference with a 3mm suit?
Depth is going to play a big role, as is water temps.
I'd even question the need to have that type of material in a suit that thin in the first place. 3mm material is going to be way stretchy compared to a 7mm in the first place, where the Hyperstretch makes the most difference.

I guess what I'm asking is how much can this 3mm material compress? There isn't much there to begin with.

I used a 3mm for years then got Bare’s 4/5 5mm body and 4mm arms and legs (recommened by a friend who runs a dive lodge in Indonesia) and found the added warmth increased my comfort when shooting photos. Some times I don’t move much through out the dive and get cold after 60-70 minutes even in tropical water.

Generally I like Bare products but have not used their 3mm suit.

I guess what I'm asking is how much can this 3mm material compress? There isn't much there to begin with.
I never checked/compared that type & thickness before, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it reduced by at least half to 2/3rds around 100'.
I had a 3/8" that used to smush down to 1/8" past 200, & that was Rubatex, a lot stiffer material.

3mm isn't much to begin with. I've only used dry suits so I don't know anything about wet suits but will compression on a 3mm suit make that much difference in bouyancy?

5615mike:
If your diving tropics then you certainly don't need a 3mm. Been diving in tropcial waters with a Henderson Microprene for sometime. Great suit and not pricey. You can spend the money for a 3mm but IMO you don't need it. I dive a 7mm Hyperstretch for cold water and wear Microprene under it. Hyperstretch is a great fitting suit but you don't need to spend that kind of money for a tropical suit.

As has been said numerous times already, tolerance to cold is an individual matter. Over Thanksgiving my family and I were diving in 80-82 degree water. We all were wearing 3mm wetsuits, my 15 year old daughter and 16 year old son were warm, but both my wife and I were both cold after only the second dive. Bottom time for each dive was about 45 minutes. I just bought some 5mm henderson hyperstretch full suits for my wife and I for an upcoming trip to Roatan this March. I'll bring both the 3mm and 5mm suits but I suspect that I'll be wearing the 5mm.

bertschb:
OK, based on the advice here and from others at home I bought the Henderson 3mm Titanium Hyperstretch full suit yesterday.

Next question:
How much weight do I drop going from my DUI dry suit to this 3mm suit all other things being equal. In other words, I'll be using all the same gear, diving salt water, etc. Just the suit is different.

Fantastic choice Bert. Both my g/f and I own the same wetsuit and it's great. My g/f probably wouldn't like scuba diving if it weren't for the Henderson Hyperstretch. The older style neoprene(heavy,no stretch) were VERY restricting on her upper area...I would imagine the Hyperstretch would be a good choice for many women. As far as weighting goes, 16-18lbs works for me in salt water...I'm 6' 190lbs.....the variance in weight depends on the items I'm carrying with me at the time. Also,the DM's on the boats can usually look at you and give a really close educated guess as to the amount of weight you need. They see it everyday(must be nice.) Anyway,enjoy your new suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom