Best portable hard disc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DailyLunatic once bubbled...

Any special gear/cables etc that you will need to do that transfer? I'm sold! (Didn't really like the idea of toteing that laptop around with me everywere anyway) :)

As I said just above I've been without access for a couple days. The basic unit has three add-on modules that I'm aware of. One is an adapter for Smart Media cards, one is for compact Flach cards and one is actually a camera. The last is a waste of money, but you need one of the first two depending on what card you use to get your images into the Archos. Both came with the package I bought from CompUSA six months ago. It comes with a battery charger ( I wish it used AAs instead), and you need a USB cable to hook it to your computer. I don't recall if that was in the package or not, but I have a bunch of them laying around. I like the unit alot, but I will say the instructions could be a bit more clear, and of course I didn't take them with me on my first two week trip. I really like the fact that it also stores mp3 files so that now I don't have to take a CD player with me.
TedJ

domino22 once bubbled...
Thanks folks for the input. Here is what I just ordered I went with the Nixvue Vizor with the 40 gig hard drive and two oly xd 256 cards and my camera came with a 32mg card so that should cover a couple of dives at least. Also ordered extra bat. for the Vizor and the xd card adapter. Thanks

Let us know how it works out.
TEdJ

I just checked out Internet services in Bonaire and the local Internet cafe provides a card reader and CD writer combo at very low cost. Just fill up your cards and dump them to CD.

I am sure this service will spread rapidly - probably to livaboards as well.

This way (apart from not spending ANOTHER $500) I will not have to lug yet another device, plus transformer, plus battery on vacation.

Sometimes the free market does wonderful things.

You don't need a 30MB file to have it look great at 1024x768 on your screen, but Blacknet is absolutely correct that you want at least 30MB file to get a good 8x10. To the naysayers... when is the last time you saw a quality and properly printed 8x10 from a properly exposed 35mm or 645 negative exposed with a quality lens? I'm sure a 3MB file will look decent off your printer if all you are used to ugly crappy 8x10 printouts from 2.1MP cameras.

As to the harddisk size... 20gig ought to be okay because digital shooters have the luxury of deleting the pictures they don't want. Just be sure to review your images on the camera after the dive and only transfer the shots you actually want onto the external drive and delete the rest.

I need a little help.
I just found this: http://www.smartdisk.com/Products/DigitalMultimedia/FlashTrax.asp

It seems to have all the feature that I want and the price is reasonable but I am a little confused regarding file that can be displayed on the LCD screen, especially regarding tiff file: from the site
"Can FlashTrax view TIFF format images on its LCD?
Yes, it can view TIFF files as long as they have an embedded thumbnail and are not compressed. (TIFF files created by certain digital still cameras typically meet this criteria.)"

So, does the Oly C4040Z or C5050Z Tiff file meets the crieteria?

Grajan, thanks for the link, I guess I missed that. Oh well, back to the Archos then, my laptop is getting to be a pain to drag around with me. Now I am wondering whatever is happening to the media2go thing from Microsoft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom