Best Places to Dive in South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My son moved to JAX a few years ago and we've gone on a couple of dives (I'm in Texas). We went off the east coast at West Palm Beach. The current was rough and the viz pretty good but not great (I'm used to Caribbean). More recently we dove out of Panama City Beach and that was all wreck dives with limited viz.

Many years ago I know we dove the Keys and I think conditions there are better. Is that normally true?

Also, what happened to the private South Florida DIvers group? I clicked on "join" and didn't seem to work.

I dive mainly in the Jupiter/WPB area, including Blue Heron Bridge. Doing one dive in the area doesn't define diving in WPB. Also, if you're diving BHB for the first time, try to find a group or hire a guide.

BTW: Not trying to be rude, just saying there's a lot to offer on different dives in the area. I re-read my msg and it seemed abrupt. It wasn't meant to be so.

Wasn't taken that way, but I was looking for feedback from people who already have experience in the area so I appreciate your feedback. To me, that's the point of having such a forum... to benefit from others' experience versus having to go through all the same motions as they did to gain their experience.

We were on a charter when we dove WPB and other divers on the boat were obviously experienced with the area and were returning. We got blown off course by the current pretty quickly so had to be picked up away from the others.

My other question was, are the Keys better? It was 20+ years ago I was diving there and my memory could be faulty OR it could have just been a "good day."

I haven't even made it down to the keys yet. I've broached the topic with dive buddies with plenty of experience down there and they don't seem to have any desire to return. Sounds like it's expensive, mostly boat diving, etc. I'll go eventually just to say I dove down there, but until then, I'm diving Juno Ledge, wrecks in the area, Breakers, and BHB.

If you like photography, a few dives at BHB are a must. We do biweekly night dives. Several of my buddies dive there multiple times a week, every week. Look for the Blue Heron Bridge Trolls forum for more details. If you like sharks, turtles, goliath groupers, then hit up charters to take you to Juno Ledge (Jupiter or WPB). If you like pretty tropicals and a little less depth, then head out WPB to Breakers.

If you like hunting, then this is a great area for it as well. If you want to do a shark dive, a few charters head outside state limits and chum trail the water to attract sharks.

Since they live in JAX, WPB is certainly more doable for us than Key West. It's a day trip dive. I'll look for the forum, thanks! I'm very happy with shallower dives and I always take my camera but you've given me some direction for investigating our next trip.

I'm HUGELY jealous of being able to go diving that often. I live inland so it's once a year normally although we have a nice lake (Spring Lake, San Marcos) here in town that's extremely clear and is accessible to me basically for free.

Thanks again!

Also, as I recall, all dive shops north of WPB required Advanced Diving cert. I'm Divemaster but my son is still using his Junior cert. He's doing his residency at the Mayo in Jax so he has no time to up his cert level.

If it's lovely crystalline water you want, don't forget the inland springs. They are literally windows to our water supply (perfect for being a bore at dinner parties!), and it's humbling and amazing to see the sheer power of water confronting limestone. The springs are a Floridian treasure. The High Springs area is just a couple of hours southwest of JAX: it's a very do-able day-trip, and since you would never do anything as silly as go into an overhead environment without training and equipment, there are several springs that are do-able with recreational gear and certifications. You mentioned your son doesn't have time to up his certification level, but when he does, a joint cavern course in a spring that's akin to swimming in Bombay Sapphire gin might be a lovely "you survived your residency!" gift!

My son moved to JAX a few years ago and we've gone on a couple of dives (I'm in Texas). We went off the east coast at West Palm Beach. The current was rough and the viz pretty good but not great (I'm used to Caribbean). More recently we dove out of Panama City Beach and that was all wreck dives with limited viz.

Many years ago I know we dove the Keys and I think conditions there are better. Is that normally true?...

This is a difficult question. Long ago, I decided I would eventually have a home to dive from in Florida. I spent many years diving in Key Largo. I really enjoy the wrecks of the Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb, and Benwood. I enjoyed diving the reefs. Then I discovered SE Florida and the magnificient drift diving. I ended up buying my home in Hypoluxo, just north of Boynton Beach. My favorite diving is in Boynton Beach, including the reefs and the wreck of the Castor. The reefs are in great shape and the diversity, number, and size of reef fish is second to none. The Castor is the best site for the Goliath Grouper aggregation, happening now. I also love the diving in Jupiter. The reliable presence of sharks and turtles is fantastic. When I can't get out of Boynton or Jupiter inlet, I go to West Palm. As others have mentioned, the Blue Heron Bridge is a world class site for the unusual and macro. I usually dive BHB when I can't get out in the ocean. I still like the wrecks in Key Largo and get down occasionally to get my fix.

Good diving, Craig

What's 'better' depends on what you're looking for. I didn't find Key Largo expensive as dive destinations go; pack some people into a hotel room and bang out 4 dives/day with Rainbow Reef Dive Center, and you can get a budget dive trip out of it. My trip report. Their location moved a bit, I'm told, but I think you could still get this done.

As you move up the coast conditions will change (trip report); Jupiter is popular for big animal encounters, a bit north of West Palm Beach. If you're looking in that area, be aware of the option, although I found viz. not as good and it's drift diving.

What time of year would you likely go?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom