Best place to retire in the Philippines with great shore and boat diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does no one cook at home anymore? If you're planning on taking up residency v. just traveling, I wouldn't think eating out would be such a big deal.

If you're in Dauin, however, I recommend the restaurant at El Dorado--assuming it's still there. Great selection and I'm fussy. :wink:

I have long given up hope of finding good food in Philippines!
Having tried couple of times at Jollibee by mistake or out of desperation, I couldn't understand why there is always queue of customers during dinner or lunch time!
My wife raved about Jollibee and how she missed it so much from when she was a child. When I went I had to see what the fuss was about. I found it to be pretty disgusting. It reminded me of the cafeteria soybean burgers I had i elementary school. yuck! She was shocked that she thought it was good when she was young.

Does no one cook at home anymore? If you're planning on taking up residency v. just traveling, I wouldn't think eating out would be such a big deal.

Good point! And yes, of course we do, especially here in PH. Even when you do find western food (beyond commercial chains), it is really their version of the dish, rarely are the flavors what you'd expect. Sure it may be good, but not quite what you were looking for. So if you're craving spaghetti, lasagna, green bean casserole, chili, or a nice big homestyle burger, you're best off cooking it your self LOL. But I have also learned how to cook many Filipino dishes as well.

It has been a ton of fun sharing foods with my friends here, local and foreigner. I have yet to disappoint my pinoy friends, and they've never disappointed me. :thumb2:

My wife raved about Jollibee and how she missed it so much from when she was a child. When I went I had to see what the fuss was about. I found it to be pretty disgusting. It reminded me of the cafeteria soybean burgers I had i elementary school. yuck! She was shocked that she thought it was good when she was young.

Yeah, agreed, definitely not a fan of Jollibee.... I don't get understand the following. But whatever, the Filipinos like it... "To each their own...."

To most filipino, eating at Jollibee is like those once a month or even a year affair during their childhood. It is like why Australian love their vegemite etc. hehe

I find Jollibee very expensive in price when compared to the salary of a average worker in Philippines.
I only like their Champion Burger (better quality of beef patty) and Fried Chicken which tasted better than KFC. lol

To most filipino, eating at Jollibee is like those once a month or even a year affair during their childhood. It is like why Australian love their vegemite etc. hehe

I find Jollibee very expensive in price when compared to the salary of a average worker in Philippines.
I only like their Champion Burger (better quality of beef patty) and Fried Chicken which tasted better than KFC. lol

Maybe to those abroad...but no, I must disagree in that it is very much a once or twice a week thing here for locals. But I really like your Vegemite reference! I'm not Aussie, but have enough Aussie friends..... LOL.

Back
Top Bottom