Best place to retire in the Philippines with great shore and boat diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....and you need lots of patience as things don't happen quickly. The owner of a shop we dove with was describing how frustrating it was to get a part for his compressor that had to be shipped in.

I'm interested to know where you are finding the good food... :banghead: .Not much to be found here in South Leyte. But we do have a sizeable, low key, spread out and often invisible ex pat community (We spend a lot of time cooking for each other), some great weather when it's not raining, and without a doubt some of if not the best shore and boat diving in the Philippines. Bring your own tanks for your shore dives. The resorts won't rent them but they will fill them. We even have a private hospital in Maasin. If you can get there in time. Where they might be able to stabilize those in need to ship them off to Cebu. Maybe.

I have long given up hope of finding good food in Philippines!
Having tried couple of times at Jollibee by mistake or out of desperation, I couldn't understand why there is always queue of customers during dinner or lunch time!

I have long given up hope of finding good food in Philippines!
Having tried couple of times at Jollibee by mistake or out of desperation, I couldn't understand why there is always queue of customers during dinner or lunch time!

Jollibee has gotten us by in a pinch, it can have quite the crowd. After getting food poisoning in a hotel in Manila it became a safe bet when transiting.

Best food in the PI is at Takatuka in Sipalay, hand down.We can spend 2 weeks there and not tire of the food. The Pub at Evolution on Malapascua is good too. The Italian place at the end of the island there is a good choice for pasta.

Good food is hard to find there sometimes it becomes a choice of what is merely slightly more edible.

Every shopping mall in the country has food court. And US fast food restaurant chains attract most customers over the local fair with the exception of Jollibee.

The Philippines is a third world country therefore, I am careful about my hygiene and what I eat. I would not want to get sick and not be able to dive!

I have just returned from Cebu and a few other cities in transit and I am glad to say I did not yet get sick from water borne diseases; fingers crossed. I excluded fruits and veggies that were not fully cooked or peeled. I ate lots of street BBQ - well done. There was lots of fast food throughout the Philippines and I did have a few meals in these places (but strictly applying the fully cooked or peeled rule); but I quickly tire of fried foods!

If you have your own apartment in the Philippines, then you have much better control of your food intake and health.

Good luck with your retirement.

GJS

A lot depends on individual taste. I like the basic Philippino dishes, so in my case, good food is not hard to find.
Agree...basic Filipino dishes are fine with me as well as restos run by the resident foreigners. If you're a fussy eater, the Philippines (outside Manila and Cebu) may not be for you.

Jollibee has gotten us by in a pinch, it can have quite the crowd. After getting food poisoning in a hotel in Manila it became a safe bet when transiting.

Best food in the PI is at Takatuka in Sipalay, hand down.We can spend 2 weeks there and not tire of the food. The Pub at Evolution on Malapascua is good too. The Italian place at the end of the island there is a good choice for pasta.

Good food is hard to find there sometimes it becomes a choice of what is merely slightly more edible.
So I take it that you've eaten at every resto in the Philippines...and you don't even live there. That's quite an accomplishment.

Personally, I really like a lot of the Filipino food. Adobo, sinigang, menudo, lechon, sisig, and yes, even balut. I'm only moderately careful about what I eat here, mostly in cases where the food has been prepared some unknown time ago and left to sit.

I interact a lot with western travelers visiting short term. The cases where I see them have issues is drinking local service water too soon* and ordering the western meals at hotels. Often times those meals are not selling quickly, therefore just waiting for some unsuspecting foreigner to take the risk. Best to stick with what the locals eat.

It is also common to have "lower bowel distress" when traveling. That is typically your gut's natural changing of the good bacteria to adjust to the new conditions. It happens even when I go back the US for a couple weeks.

*Regarding local water: in my case and my friends', if you slowly expose yourself to the local service water, it shouldn't be much of an issue (brushing your teeth, not totally drying washed dishes, that sort of exposure). I (and my friends) can drink from the faucet here in Metro Manila. BUT, when you get out into the more remote/provincial areas, the risk of waterborne nasties goes way up; Giardia, Cryptosporidium, E Coli, Fecal Coliform. Filter bottles, like those for backpacking, are a great option when traveling around those areas. I always carry an MSR Micro filter (the one with the bag) when traveling around.

But at the end of the day, Know your body, know your limits, and take whatever precautions you feel necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom