Best place to live for a wreck diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rafael:
What do you guys think about the Wrecks in New England?

there the shanizzle
actually Rhode Island might be a good choice.

you have ez access to TF Green airport
short trip to cape ann and poinst north. you have a short6 trip to take a ferry to long island.
NJ is a day trip. but a better weeken trip, and your backyard is block island area.
RI is pretty centralized

Miami_Diver:
southeast florida- over 80wrecks!

I don't like oneupmanship but I have to comment on this. 80 wrecks isn't a lot of wrecks. Around the North Sea there are a couple of thousand. I've been told that there are about 10,000 objects in the GPS database of the boat I dive from. Not all of them are worth diving but if there were only 80 most of the divers I know would get bored.

R..

if you want as many possible locatiopns within moderate distance, north florda would be my choice

not many wrecks in the particular area but its pretty much a hub to wrecks up the south east coast and gulf, not to mention the caves

dbulmer:
Diver0001,
Liar :)

Well....I'm not in the habit of lying. I may be misinformed but I've seen the gps database....have you?

As I said, a lot of the objects aren't divable, some of them are mines, torpedos, dumped garbage, mounds of sand that proably cover a ship, containers that have fallen overboard, old tanks and landing craft....you name it. But even at that, there are lots of wrecks that are exposed and divable and there are still lots of targets marked with "?" too.....

R..

dbulmer:
Diver0001,
Liar :)

Diver0001 *****s you NOT. He is quite correct. The Great lakes also has a few THOUSAND wrecks and "objects" to dive. Take a look at books by Chris Kohl some time. Heck, you can watch Deep Sea Detectives on the history channel next monday. They are doing a show on Great Lakes Ghost ships. Then you can see what a real live ship wreck looks like. There are wrecks that are more then a ballast pile, believe it or not.

Jim

Gotta love dive sites marked as "targets". When I was a kid, there was a dive site off Cuttyhunk Island going out towards Nantucket way that consisted of drums of radioactive material, marginal visibility, strong currents, and large sharks. The listing ended with a sardonic "Sounds inviting, huh?"
We drove over the area - lots of big fins cleaving the surface.
European waters have a ton of great wrecks - my wife wants to take me to the UK to see Oxford and a bunch of boring old stuff, and I want to dive Scapa Flow and go surf Ireland.
Negotiations, needless to say, are at an extreme standstill.

Back
Top Bottom