Best place to live for a wreck diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well despite rumer hearsay and popular oppinion southeast Michigan is not as snowy as many would like to believe. "We get slush a mix of snow and water." But Detroit fits your Needs because it does have a major airport, it has many dive centers that are more than willing to set up charters, and best of all The wrecks are spectacular....When you can see them. Good luck in your choice.

If "best" means the quality of well preserved wrecks, nothing can beat the Great Lakes and Saint Lawrence system. Of course, the season is a bit short.

In salt water, the Altanic coast is rich from Florida to New York, particaly thanks to the u-boat campaigns, bad weather and high volume. But in winter even the Outer Banks are shut down.

For a warm water fix the year around, the Atlanic coast of Florida is hard to beat. Look for deals on airfare to Miami (yuk), or Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach and weekend diving is an option from many cities in the eastern half of North America.

Along 'The Great Lakes' hands down!!!!

Jacksonville, FL hands down. Jacksonville has one of the largest artificial reefs systems in the world. It includes wrecks that range from the 1400's (Spaniards coming into St.Augustine) to more modern things like a fleet of A-6 Intruder attack planes which the Navy sunk a good while back. Additionally we are strategically located close enough to easily weekend the keys and North Carolina which gives you unsurpassed access to all of their territory. Check your charts and your history books and you will see that the First Coast has more to offer divers than any other place in the states. We also have world reknown spearfishing, a ton of marine life large and small. Additionally, We also have an International Airport, Mild Winters that are still comfortably diveable as well as countless springs for when you need the occasional change of scenery. All of it is within an 8 hour road trip at any given time.

Being a little biased (live full time in Fla, Keys) and having lived in other great places. All I can say is everywhere is great - ONCE YOU GET LOCAL KNOWLEDGE.
Forget the wrecks that dive operators take cattle boats to. We find and dive wrecks that are both historic, interesting, beautiful about once a month. Some are old fishing boats, schooners, barges, one tug boat - all uncharted.
Good luck - happy hunting

Actually, given the requirements listed of tropical weather, close wrecks, metro area with nearby international airport, I'd say S Florida is about your only choice.

gr8ful divr:
Just curious about this. Where would be the best place to live in the continental United States for a serious wreck diver? My company has offices in most major cities so I could transfer pretty much anywhere. I would want it to be on one of the coasts since living in the Great Lakes area doesn't appeal to me very much. I would like to be somewhat close to a major international airport if possible but great local wreck diving would be huge. Thanks.

Another vote for the Great Lakes. You don't have to live in the snow belt if you don't mind driving a bit to get to your wrecks. I'm in Dayton, OH and Lake Erie wrecks are 3-4 hours away depending on where you go, a little more drive time and I can be at Port Huron, MI. It's a 12 hour drive to Tobermory, Ontario, 12 hours to Panama City, FL, 12 hours to Ginnie Springs, 12 hours to the Outer Banks. We don't get tons of snow, the last few years we've only had to shovel the driveway 3 or 4 times if that. There are accessible airports in Dayton (it's called Dayton International don't know if it's a true international airport though), Cincinnati (1 to 1.5 hour drive depending on traffic), Columbus (+/-1.5 hour drive), Indianapolis (2 hour drive) and Detroit (about 3 hours). We also have one of the premier quarries in the midwest, Gilboa Quarry, within 1:45 to 2 hours of us for year round diving--the Great Lakes tend to have a dive season.

Good luck on your search!
Ber :lilbunny:

The don't call the waters off NJ "Wreck Valley" for nothing!

:)

I would vote for NJ if the conditions didn't suck so frequently. So, I guess my vote goes to the Carolina area. Lots of wrecks and better temps/viz than NJ.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom