Best place to live for a wreck diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, if we were to narrow down the "Florida" contingent, I would say Ft. Lauderdale area. North of that has fewer wrecks; south of that is Miami and the majorinternational airport, with very close access to the wrecks available in the Keys. Wrecks available in every depth range possible.

This comes solely from the directional request of your last post....I have no exposure to any further north wrecks. Obviously, if you're in Atlanta you're familiar with the coastal Carolina area, I would imagine.

The one codicil to the answer is that South Florida has become prohibitively expense housing-wise in the past two years. (Even in comparison to the Atlanta market).

gr8ful divr:
Just curious about this. Where would be the best place to live in the continental United States for a serious wreck diver? My company has offices in most major cities so I could transfer pretty much anywhere. I would want it to be on one of the coasts since living in the Great Lakes area doesn't appeal to me very much. I would like to be somewhat close to a major international airport if possible but great local wreck diving would be huge. Thanks.

It may not be the ideal - I'd have to agree with many that you've ruled out the plum in the Great Lakes - but Norfolk would be a good start - with plenty of wrecks offshore and easy driving distance of N Carolina.

Get stationed in Canada and dive the Kingston area...:D

I lived in Pennsylvania for four years. That leads me to believe that diving New Jersey would involve living in New Jersey. Think about it.

Jim

North Jersey or Outerbanks, NC. North Jersey gives you lots of wrecks within an hour's boat ride from the marinas. Outerbanks gives you lots of wrecks anywhere between 1 - 2 1/2 hour's boat ride from the marinas, depending on where you're at. The farther south you go in the OBX, the farther out the wrecks are. Most of the wrecks on the Atlantic coast in those areas are natural wrecks. Florida and the Pacific coast have a lot of planned wrecks. Conditions on the Atlantic coast can be pretty harsh, though. Lots of currents, changing currents, cold water, big waves.

What do you guys think about the Wrecks in New England?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom