Best place to live as a retired diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lived in FL all my life. Been diving since 1986. I quit going to the Keys around 2003, reefs there are trashed. Charters are expensive and full of lunatic carpet baggers. South Florida traffic is horrendous. FL inflation is one of the highest in the country. And good luck getting home owner's insurance.

Other than that, it's paradise.
One buddy of mine in a 4-3-2 house , not in a FEMA flood or wind zone just put a new metal hurricane proof roof on his house. Premium just increased to nearly $8k.

Another buddy has a very nice home on Clearwater Beach. Ground level because it's older, wind and flood just went up to $44k.

Old condos need costly structural inspections.

There's just too many damn people here.

Lived in FL all my life. Been diving since 1986. I quit going to the Keys around 2003, reefs there are trashed. Charters are expensive and full of lunatic carpet baggers. South Florida traffic is horrendous. FL inflation is one of the highest in the country. And good luck getting home owner's insurance.

Other than that, it's paradise.
you forgot Auto insurance. Mine just doubled on renewal and there were no accidents, claims or tickets (for over 5 years), same vehicles and maintained a "good driver discount". Rates doubled in one day and I have USAA which is apparently good because the other companies wanted even MORE.

The Uninsured Motorist component increased by over 300% (basically 4 fold jump) on my renewal, I assume it is because of all the illegal aliens driving, but that is simply a guess. Total coverage DOUBLED on renewal.

Also, the public education system (K-12) in Florida is NOT that great. The teacher pay is in the bottom 2%! of the nation and the cost of living is high - clearly not that much of a priority.

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/20...-system-is-vastly-underperforming-column/good,

One buddy of mine in a 4-3-2 house , not in a FEMA flood or wind zone just put a new metal hurricane proof roof on his house. Premium just increased to nearly $8k.

Another buddy has a very nice home on Clearwater Beach. Ground level because it's older, wind and flood just went up to $44k.

Old condos need costly structural inspections.

There's just too many damn people here.
If you have Citizens Insurance and you have to make a claim, be forewarned. You will experience a level of pain and frustration that you've never experienced before in your lifetime.

I'd recommend using your premium money to buy scratch offs before paying it to those scoundrels. Your chances of payout are higher.

It doesn't interfere with my diving. I don't see many people on my visits other than on the boats. I generally do not talk politics, or much at all really, on the boats. I have made some good friends over the years and like seeing them when I am down. Mostly, I dive.
I go twice each year to visit. Mostly I fish, scuba, avoid political discussions. I've seen Florida change from the 60s, when it was glorious, to its current debased condition. Heartbreaking. Parts of the west coast are a stinking cesspool. So much is gone, everywhere. Paved over. Bulldozed.

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Westchester during the late spring into October, Cozumel the rest of the year!

Do you want to dive every week or a every month? You might explore the Puget Sound region on Washington state. Fine tune the location to your budget. You will trade some access to water for cost, but it is a mater of driving 30minutes-2hours for a dive to 1hour-3hours for many dive sites.

This is one of the best and most accessable dive locations in the country, you just need a dry suit for best results. Myself and many friends often dive a few days per week.
I have hung up my dry suit after a few years of North East Tech diving. It was fun but there is no way my wife is doing any cold water diving. I prefer warm water if I am going to relocate.

I want warm water that I can get to whenever the mood strikes me. Nice reefs, wrecks and a variety of depth options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom