Best place to get plain Talc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just become the proud owner of a Pinnacle EVO2 drysuit and I'm trying to find plain unscented, no chemicals added, Talc I can use for donning and doffing my drysuit.

Would it be at Wal-Mart or a Health Food store?
I've looked at my local Kroger grocery store and all they had was Talc with scent added. I've heard from my LDS that I don't need to get any Talc that has any additives in it to weaken and eventually damage the seals.

Would plain corn starch work or does it need to be Talc?

Thanks!

Disclaimer: I am a seller and proponent of pure talc.

Corn starch works, but I'd suggest washing it off your seals post-dive as it is a potential food source for bacteria, I believe.

It's my belief that pure talc extends seal life primarily because it keeps skin oils off the latex. I'd go into its other advantages, but that might be considered spammy.... :D

I will say that there are NO health concerns regarding the high-grade talc as used by thousands of divers and by mothers on their babies, etc. Talc grades do vary however....

A current thread with DUI's recommendations may be helpful:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dui/243233-seal-maintenance.html

The baseless health concerns about body talc are often propagations of erroneous internet urban legends which originated in the early '70's with inaccurate and sensational mis-reporting of the methods and terminology of mineral analysis.

Dave C

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom