Best place to get plain Talc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
I just become the proud owner of a Pinnacle EVO2 drysuit and I'm trying to find plain unscented, no chemicals added, Talc I can use for donning and doffing my drysuit.

Would it be at Wal-Mart or a Health Food store?
I've looked at my local Kroger grocery store and all they had was Talc with scent added. I've heard from my LDS that I don't need to get any Talc that has any additives in it to weaken and eventually damage the seals.

Would plain corn starch work or does it need to be Talc?

Thanks!

I had to order mine from Walgrens, since no local stores keep it in stock. It comes in a 10 oz. white screw top bottle. The brand is Health & Beauty by HUMCO. It is fragrance and asbestos free. Cost was about $10.00 and took 2-3 days to arrive. I transfer mine into a smaller container as needed and keep in my drysuit bag. Hope the helps.

Go to a car part store and buy tire talc. It won't be as pretty,but you'll get more for a cheaper price.

You're right about tire talc not being as pretty. It's sort of a grayish black color. But it washes off easy. I got a pound for about $8, not too bad a deal to treat my new dry suit with loving care. I'll try it out tomorrow morning.

Congrats on the suit. I love my Evolution 2. Talc works great donning the suit but I found that a little soapy water works better getting the suit off.

I can get the suit on with no problem even the wrist seals. Getting out of the suit with the neck seals is a breeze. It's the wrist seals when I take the suit off that are a little difficult. I'll keep in mind about the soapy water. Thanks.
I had the manager at Divers Supply, who is long time drysuit diver, expertly trim my seals to fit me.
I'll be taking my PADI AOW finally this Sept. at a quarry in Alabama. Where I'll be doing my Deep dive checkout at 100ft. it's about 50-55degrees year around. Blackie(as I fondly call my EVO2) will be a real comfort then.
I dove it the first time last weekend at a local lake just to get comfortable diving it. I don't have any real undergarments yet, it's just way too hot to even suit up right with heavy undergarments. So I dove in shorts and t- shirt and socks and did just fine. It was really fun as I went down to about 20-25ft., temp about 65-70degrees, I would add air in and take the squeeze off. I'm going to love diving year around in Blackie.

yes i find the same exact thing to be true. I squirt a little soapy water around the inside of the wrist seals, undo the zipper, get my wrist seals off as far as the base of my fingers where they connect to my hands, slip out of the neck seal ( neck seal is rather easy doffing), get the rest of my hands through the wrist seals, do a little wiggle dance and slide the suit down my back and i am free.

When I first got the suit I realized donning was a snap it was getting the thing off that was a bear. Now that I have doffed it quite a few times and developed a system it is no problem. Enjoy the new suit, it is very sweet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom