Best place to get a tank serviced in Phoenix Metro area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As the title indicates I am looking for the best source to get a tank(s) hydrostatically and visually inspected. I guess by "best" I mean by price and service time. Does anybody know if the tanks are hyrdo'd locally? I have heard of one LDS that sends them to California.

Thanks,

'bob

you can skip the middle man

Thunderbird Cylinder Inc
4209 E University Dr
Phoenix, AZ 85034
(602) 437-4600

"most" of the shops use Thunderbird for hydros. As for a viz, as long as they have an inspector on staff/in-store, should be a short turnaround. Oasis has a quick turnaround (viz = $15 includes fill, hydro+viz = $35). The thing with going direct to Thunderbird is they don't do the viz, you could pay to have it hydroed and it fail the viz afterwards, seen it happen. It's best to have an inspector take a look at it before it's hydroed, could save you a few bucks. Oasis does this will all tanks in for hydro. Also Thunderbird won't recommend a tumble if there's rust inside, they only care about it passing hydro.

So skipping the "middle-man" could be more of a hassle for you if something beyond the hydro test needs to be taken care of.

Sending them to CA :11: that's crazy and has to be expensive.

-Garrett

For the price Garrett is quoting, it's a deal at Oasis. Some shops like to charge up a little on the hydro - like $20 more. Hydro should cost you about $20 if you do it direct. I VIP my own tanks and take them directly to the hydro shop, but if you don't, then you can't beat the Oasis price.

Thanks for the info. I agree if the info on Oasis is correct I would just take them there.

Out of curiosity, I am wondering what is required to perform visual inspections? I assume a boroscope and a training certificate of some type? I ask only because I work for a materials testing (metallurgical) laboratory and likely have access to all the equipment required except the specific training.

Ironically, at one time we used to perform hyrdostatic testing as well but disassembled our test assembly years back after a contract ended. Had I been diving back them I might have kept if up and running.

'bob

Try Sport Chalet, $25. for hydro, $7.00 for viz, air fill included. Neck O ring $1.00, and all of our inspectors are PSI certified.

Thanks for the info. I agree if the info on Oasis is correct I would just take them there.

Out of curiosity, I am wondering what is required to perform visual inspections? I assume a boroscope and a training certificate of some type? I ask only because I work for a materials testing (metallurgical) laboratory and likely have access to all the equipment required except the specific training.

'bob

Delayed response, but I've been having Internet access issues lately.

Everything you need to perform a visual inspection can be bought at Home Depot and CVS. You just need to be able to light up the inside of the tank and look at the threads and the neck. You can buy the expensive kits, but you really don't need to. The new thing is also Eddie current tests, but you don't need that either. A good visual inspection will beat an Eddie current test any day. And yes, you need the course just so you can buy the stickers. The course isn't that involved though. I was doing VIPs on my tanks long before I ever took the course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom