Best place to find local dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaPixie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Farmington Hills, MI --> Weeki Wachee, FL
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I don't have a local DS yet as I am new to the area (Weeki Wachee) and looking for suggestions. I know there is a couple places up in Crystal River, but was wondering whats south of me? Not to far? Perhpas has a social dive club?

Looking for suggestions, TIA :D

I am from the Bradenton area. I have access to boats and usually head off-shore 15 - 20 miles. Dephts are 60 - 80 FSW. I used to use ScubaQuest for charters. They have sold their boats. The boats are now operated by Home

Alison look for the next meet and greet and come out and meet some of the active local divers.

If you are looking for dive locations, you should pick up the book by Ned Deloach, Underwater Florida. It has information on everything from springs, drift, reef, wreck, shore, deep, and shallow all over the state. You should be able to find this book at your local dive shop or ebay has a few. (I live in Brooksville and dive almost every weekend.)

Alison look for the next meet and greet and come out and meet some of the active local divers.

If you are looking for dive locations, you should pick up the book by Ned Deloach, Underwater Florida. It has information on everything from springs, drift, reef, wreck, shore, deep, and shallow all over the state. You should be able to find this book at your local dive shop or ebay has a few. (I live in Brooksville and dive almost every weekend.)

Thanks just found a copy on Amazon can't wait to check it out.
When and where do you normaly have these 'Meet N Greets? Are they posted here? :confused:Looks like we are neighbors - im in Weeki Wachee :D

What type of diving do you like to do? I like hunting for the dinner table and feel I am leaving something behind when diving without a gun or catch bag.

Im formaly from MI so most cold/green water but iv done a bit of travel so done my fairshare of ocean diving. Iv never hunted underwater but i understand florida has various UW hunting seasons ie. mini lobsters and oysters?

I'll definalty come to the meet N greet aug 21 thanks for the info. :D

Lobster mini season is over this year. The regular season is about to open this coming weekend.
Right now in Hernando waters and north you can scallop. Everything south of Hernando county is closed. (The scallop season is very poor this year)
Then there is the normal fish season, it varies based on the fish species. Bag and size limits are also varied due to the species.
If you are interested in this pursuit we can talk more about it when we meet up!

AP like SalmonBoy said, look for a Meet&Greet. We do them about once a month and you will meet ACTIVE social divers. Some with quite a bit of experience but also some new - everyone is always welcome so you will find divers of all experience levels. Also check this thread out: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/60333-insider-information-local-diving.html Sadly we don't have much shore diving here. You have to drive for it and there are only a couple spots - Venice for the sharks teeth and a bit of shooting and Spanish Rocks. As for dive shops, I personally use Divers Supply on Gunn Hwy which is more than a bit out of your way.

AP like SalmonBoy said, look for a Meet&Greet. We do them about once a month and you will meet ACTIVE social divers. Some with quite a bit of experience but also some new - everyone is always welcome so you will find divers of all experience levels. Also check this thread out: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/60333-insider-information-local-diving.html Sadly we don't have much shore diving here. You have to drive for it and there are only a couple spots - Venice for the sharks teeth and a bit of shooting and Spanish Rocks. As for dive shops, I personally use Divers Supply on Gunn Hwy which is more than a bit out of your way.

Thanks MissD I will look into both however I think they are a bit farther then I wanted to go(south of Tamps? Yes?) - I am actually in between WW and Homassasa.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for info on the M&G - I am assuming that the 21st is cancelled due to the 'show' being moved to a diff date?

If you are north of WW then I would recommend the LDS, Birds Underwater, in Crystal River. I have only been up there one time but I liked his operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom