Best place to dive with whale sharks (or whales) out of these locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it doesn't have to be Club Med, your timeframe puts you in the prime Whale Shark Diving season near Gladden Spit in Belize. It's only when the Cubera Snapper spawn near the full moon(s) - the Whale Sharks go there to feed then.

Scuba with Belize Whale Sharks|Scuba Diving & Accommodation|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize
Avadon Divers Belize Whale Shark Packages » Avadon Divers Belize

Several of the nearby atoll resorts and several of the resorts farther north also go there. But if they do, it's probably going to be $150 or more in additional cost per single dive trip since they're farther away. And there's no guarantee so you can pay a lot for a long boat ride on an average reef.

There's also a slight chance of snorkeling with Whale Sharks off Utila in May but they're more reliably seen there in March/April. That can be a very reasonable trip since it's also a dive training/backpacking location so accommodations in town are cheaper. A little harder to get to either from mainland Honduras or thru Roatan.

I'm pretty sure the Humpbacks are only around the Dominican Republic in winter. The liveaboards from Turks/Caicos move over there during Jan-March to snorkel with them there at the Silver Banks off Puerto Plata. They also go by Grand Turk on the way there but that would be a short plane ride over from Club Med Turkoise. Obviously earlier than you can go since it's likely happening now.

We saw a lot of sharks off Turks/Caicos - especially out at West Caicos or French Cay. But nothing larger. I believe Club Med does most(all?) of their diving off Provo's NW Point - good diving but less likely for sharks. If JoJo is still around you might see a dolphin.
Ditto and Roatan.....

Have to say a bit disappointed with Isla Mujeres, Mexico. Way over crowded. And I went off season on a very dead week. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed my time with the whale shark but the large abundance of people really did spoil it.

Greenliger, are you saying you were there in off season and it was a slow week but the island was still overcrowded or did you mean the whale shark snorkel trip was crowded? What month/week were you there please?

Greenliger, are you saying you were there in off season and it was a slow week but the island was still overcrowded or did you mean the whale shark snorkel trip was crowded? What month/week were you there please?
I've heard they get lots and lots of boats out there.

---------- Post added March 6th, 2014 at 08:26 AM ----------

Most of the world's whalesharks or whale "hostspots" have regulations in place that prohibit scuba diving with these larger animals. Snorkeling is really the only way to go when you are going to places with more or less guaranteed encounters with the animals.
Unless things have changed, you're permitted to dive with whale sharks in the Galapagos and for at least a few months out of the year, they're virtually guaranteed at Darwin. Saw them on just about all our dives there in June '04 and August '07.

Was there this past mid August hotels and towns pretty empty but yet a ton of people all going out for whale sharks. Seemed like all the boats were full. And it was like rats trying to get a food pellet.

Which ever location you choose, whale sharks or whales will most likely be a seasonal activity. Off Isla Holbox or Isla Mujeres, the season runs from May 15 to September 15. While there is no Club Med in either location, Isla Mujeres is very affordable (hotels run as little as $50/night for basic accommodations) and Isla is a fun little island with more than 150 restaurants. Dive sites off Isla Mujeres are pretty basic, but you could dive MUSA, the underwater museum, which is a little unique. My recommended whale shark tour operator is "On Isla Mujeres." They have a large, comfortable boat with an onboard head and dive platform. The owner, Jorge de la O, likes to leave a little bit later than the other boats so that once he is in the area he can set up well away from them. Whale shark tours are regulated at $125 US per person.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom