Best place in Belize for Junior Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to be diving in Belize this month with my 12 year old and 14 year old. For the 12 year old, he's limited to 40 feet.
My experience diving in Belize was pretty deep dives.
I'm torn between Caye Caulker and Placencia. We like the smaller, more low keyatmosphere, unlike Ambergris.
Which place would be the better option for good, shallower diving?
I really want his first experience to be a good one!
Thanks!

If you decide on Placencia, which has some benefits besides the great diving, you can check out this link which talks about our program for teaching local kids to dive for free (unfortunately does not apply to not local kids) http:Community &Environmental Projects|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize.
One big advantage for Placencia is access to inland adventures for those days that it is too windy to dive (the boats can handle the rough water but it can be a little hard on the passengers). You can check some of the inland adventures out at http:Amenities, Tours and Other Services|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize.
If you have any questions about these, you can e-mail me at ralph@splashbelize.com or Patty at patricia@splashbelize.com.
Regards
Ralph

I'm a little confused... Is the 12 year old limited to 40 feet? I was told that by one dive operator, but looking at the PADI website, Jr OWD is limited to 40 feet ages 10-11... It doesn't say a limit for 12-14 year olds, only that they have to dive with a parent.
Thanks.... Probably heading to Placencia!

It is 40 feet for Junior OWD aged from 10 to 14. If they do the advanced, which is 5 open water dives c/w doing the knowledge reviews which are less onerous than the theory for OWD, then they can dive to 70 feet. One of the dives has to be a deep div which is 70 feet for a junior and one other has to be underwater navigation. There is a long list of choices for the other three dives and I would recommend that they do Fish ID and underwater naturalist as two of the options because they learn a lot more about what they are seeing and about ecology and the environment.
Regards
Ralph

Thanks, Ralph, for clarifying. I had sent an email to PADI the same day I postedthis, with the same question regarding depth limits for 12-14 year old Jr OWD.
Here's what I got back:

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your email. You are correct the maximum recommended depth for Jr Open Water Divers 12+ is 60ft and the maximum depth allowed for Jr Open Water Divers 10-11 year old it is 40ft.

Thanks again for your inquiry,  Susan. If you have any additional questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at 800-729-7234 ext 2336, +949-858-7234 ext 2336, fax: +949-267-1229 or by email to leroy.wickham@padi.com.

All the best,

LeRoy Wickham
Educational Consultant
PADI Americas, Training, Quality Management and Instructor Development

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom