Best place for kids to do Cert Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I witnessed two checkout dives of some Jr OW divers with Horizon Divers in Key Largo several years ago. They did a really good job from what I saw. Plus, there was clear water, little to no current, nice viz and shallow depths. No experience with RR but I have heard good things about them.

Hi @Mike Petrik

When will you be going? Key Largo might be more reliable for conditions than SE FL during the winter or early spring. The water in winter is not tropical warm, likely low 70s. Key Largo has a larger selection of shallow, easy reefs.

We brought our kids to Grand Cayman for the OW and several other certs. Over the years many of their friends who joined us on holiday also certified while they were with us. Couldn’t ask for better conditions, higher level of professionalism pretty much across the board or a nicer place to do the first post very dives.

One hit wonder?

Rainbow reef all the way! My oldest, 21 or so at the time, wasn't as natural a diver as my youngest who got cert'd at 16 or there abouts. He did his OW up here in Maine. Mask clearing was hard for him, he didn't like dropping into the blue abyss where you couldn't see bottom, etc. We did a long weekend in Key Largo, and had him do his AOW with RR. The instructor was fantastic. He was extremely professional while keeping it fun and informative at the same time. My son got to do the Speigal grove a few times, and really became much more comfortable during that experience. Even though some people knock that place due to their boat sizes, Rainbow reef really does do their best to run an absolute top notch operation. I've been on one trip where there was a non-death medical event, and they handled that extremely well. Getting people back on the boat, meeting the coast guard, etc.

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for recommendations in the Miami/Key Largo area for my 13 and 11-year-old kids to do their certification dives. They are both good in the water, and won't be difficult to train, and am looking for someone who will show them a good time. I will be there with my girlfriend diving at the same time, either with them or not with them, whichever.

Thanks for any input

Wetvet
I bought my 10 year old son and a friend of his to Force E in Boca for their summer camp. The kids had a blast and came out with their certifications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom