Best Phuket Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not qualified to say who's best, having only taken the Rhapsody just this past week; however, it's a good boat with an excellent staff.

The Rhapsody takes the least number of people of any of the boats running Similan trips. This is the #1 reason I chose it, and for the most part, they didn't disappoint, though there's one main complaint to be made, which they are planning to address -- the beds are awfully hard. Also, it's not a particularly quiet boat, in that even with engines off, the generator runs all the time and can be heard throughout. I don't know how other boats compare in this regard. Earplugs solved this for me quite easily though.

Anyway, 4 cabins -- two doubles and two bunks, with bottom beds of full size. I ended up, after a coin toss with my roommate, with the top single bunk. It was ok. My cabin was #5, I think the best positioned -- it's the rear cabin on the main deck with a door that opens to the outside. The other cabin on this deck ajoins the interior salon, and the occupants reported being bothered when the lights were turned out if someone came into the salon at night. The double cabins are on the lower deck. Top deck is a fully shaded outdoor seating and dining area, with a sun area forward of this.

The boat is of 1984 vintage, but last update was 2003, so kept up well, which is not to say that some things aren't a bit worn.

Food was very good -- with so few customers, they don't run a buffet type. Instead, you order from a menu. They like to advertise that they have more than 100 selections, which is true, but it's more like 10 sauceing variations (thai style) with a choice of 4-5 meats/fish/shrimp Plus salads and hamburgers and some other choices.

As for the trip itself, we were guided by Clive and Marie, who were both excellent. Marie especially was cheerful and in good humor constantly. The Thai staff were all very helpful during donning of equipment and after dives, doing things like putting on your fins, zipping up your wetsuits, etc. Also, twin fresh water hoses for after the dive rinsing off, plus hot towels. The boat captain handled the boat great. I doubt that's a problem on other boats either, but in our case, Richi, the captain, always got the boat spot on for drop off or pickup.

The dives were all great, though viz could've been better, and we didn't see any large stuff. Similans are mostly deeper dive sites, though of course options abound for taking shallower ones. The Similans are also very popular. We were fortunate in that the boat's schedule was flexible enough that we were able to avoid conflicting with other boats' divers, except at Richelieu, where we shared the water in a way that divers of other groups were almost like schools of fish floating around. A number of the boats seem to run tight schedules with fixed destinations and often find themselves at the same place at the same time. We saw this constantly while we were motoring off to different sites. One particular example is Elephant Rock. We didn't do that dive, instead doing one nearby that we were the only boat on. Elephant Rock apparantly isn't a great dive if there's lots of people + current, which there was that day, because there's only one sheltered area. That day, there were 4 or 5 boats, each with say 18-20 people on board = a lot of divers in a small space. This is a huge, huge plus for the Rhapsody having only 2 groups of divers to manage. Another example is at Richelieu. Our first two dives were shared with a number of other boats; however, for the 3rd dive, most of the boats took off for elsewhere (Koh Tachai, in this case), but we decided to stick around, and had the site to ourselves.

East of Eden was my favorite site. Nice deep area with a beautiful shallow reef to finish up. As mentioned, Similan sites are almost all deep, and these multiple deep dives can't be done without a computer, and there can be blue water drifting safety stops also, so that's something to be prepared for. For example, we did one day with two 100 ft dives followed by a 80 ft dive (I only did 3 max per day, but as to be expected, a night dive is also on offer each day). Of course, these dives had well managed profiles and in-between decent surface intervals, that didnt take anyone close to NDL, but it's not something table planning can handle. As it turned out, everyone except someone using a Mares computer, was using Suunto ones, so the algorithm was compatible. Last dive trip to Coz, I was led, rather incompetently, I might add, by someone who used an aggressive computer that, had I followed him, would have put my Suunto into decompression. This just by way of a vague comparison. In any case, the dive guides on the Rhapsody got an idea of everyone's air consumption, and after a couple of dives, was getting everyone up to safety stop level at the right time with just a few checks on people's air along the way. They were also good at finding things. Apparantly, this season, some critters that had been living for some time in the same spots, had moved, so had to be re-found. Some were found -- Marie seemed esp good at this, but Clive also found some interesting and not always seen creatures. They both know their fish books backwards and forwards. Some interesting things seen: frogfish, tiger seahorse, manta shrimp, along with the usual plethora of other reef life.

My fellow passengers were all capable and compatible divers, and we had no untoward incidents, just good diving. This was my first liveaboard, and for me, the main benefit is to be able to completely unwind during the SI -- get to take off wetsuit, etc, rinse off, dry off, change into comfy clothes, relax, perhaps take a nap, and eat a nice meal to boot.

Well, meandered along for perhaps too long, so I'll stop now...

Oh, we did see the Viking at a couple of overnight moorings. A very nice looking boat, I must say!

-Simon

Hello Hamburger: We are San Diego divers looking for more information on the liveaboard "Punanee". We heard about them from a couple we met diving in Aruba last week and it sounds fabulous. Do you have a website for them, or any other information so we can contact them about trips, schedules and prices? Thank you for your time.
Jeannette Cohan

The Hamburger:
I would have to say the best one I have been on is the Panunee.

I've used it for Burma and Lembeh and will probably use it again in Feb for Similans or Burma again.

There are some pics of it here.

http://www.damnam.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18

Damnam members get favourable terms.

Cohan:
Hello Hamburger: We are San Diego divers looking for more information on the liveaboard "Punanee". We heard about them from a couple we met diving in Aruba last week and it sounds fabulous. Do you have a website for them, or any other information so we can contact them about trips, schedules and prices? Thank you for your time.
Jeannette Cohan

Here is the link for panunee: www.panunee.com
Burger is a bit tardy lately with scubaboard :)
I assume you must have met Debbie and Khun O in Aruba!

I dove with the Panunee in Feb 2003. We went to Burma. Panunee is by far my favorite liveaboard in terms of service (really great), cabins, and common area.

That is nice but can you give us some information on what you are comparing it too. What other Thai liveaboards have you been on???

joyfulsun:
I dove with the Panunee in Feb 2003. We went to Burma. Panunee is by far my favorite liveaboard in terms of service (really great), cabins, and common area.

simonk999:
Oh, we did see the Viking at a couple of overnight moorings. A very nice looking boat, I must say!

Are you sure you saw the Viking? They cancelled this season after the tsunami (I was booked on it in April!) I had to change and went with the Mermaid 2. I don't have anything to compare it to but I thought it was a very good boat - and very reasonably priced as well.
I wrote a very long trip report about it here.

I've done several liveaboard trips to the similans and my favourite would have to be the Divemaster 1. The food on board was excellent (the only problem dive I had was when I stuffed myself with a fourth helping of Thai cooking a few moments before jumping in....). Very professional staff. I’d certainly recommend them.

Cheers,
Rohan.

JonnieB:
That is nice but can you give us some information on what you are comparing it too. What other Thai liveaboards have you been on???

Hi JonnieB

Well, in Thailand, I've been onboard Divemaster, MV Atlantis and MV Vilaisamut. In the Philippines, I was on the Explorer twice before it sank. This July, I'm pretty excited to be going onboard Baani Explorer for the Maldives. I guess in terms of service and comfort, I found Panunee to be the best amongst the ones I've been on.

Divemaster, MV Atlantis and MV Vilaisamut

Well, yes, Panunee would beat those 3 barges hands down. Maybe next time you could try a good boat!

Two slightly off topic contributions:

Whenever I hear people talk about the Panunee, I can't help but think of "punanee"...

And, anyone hear anything further about the Rhapsody sinking?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom