Best Phuket Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took my first trip to the Similans/Myanmar in Nov. My travel agent suggested the M/Y Anggun, it was a little pricey compared to the other liveaboards I had looked at, but I trusted him and took his word. I am sooooo glad I did, this is the nicest liveaboard in Thailand! The food was incredible (Thanks Sommart), the crew was by far the friendliest I've ever encountered and everyone already knows the diving is exceptional. All the boats basically dive the same areas, so why not spend a little more and do it in STYLE! (www.genesis-liveaboards.com) It's better than going to a 5 star resort.

SCUBAJENNIFER:
I took my first trip to the Similans/Myanmar in Nov. My travel agent suggested the M/Y Anggun, it was a little pricey compared to the other liveaboards I had looked at, but I trusted him and took his word. I am sooooo glad I did, this is the nicest liveaboard in Thailand!

Anggun is indeed a nice and rather expensive boat! Another in this category would be the Philkade, which just started last season. These are luxury boats and you do get what you pay for.

The most popular boats tend to be mid priced ones with private bathrooms, as the likes of Anggun, Philkade and Ocean Rover are not cheap. Boats such as Mermaid 2, Colona 6, Queen Scuba are comfortable, not fancy fancy, but well run and we get good feedback from guests. There are a couple of new boats next season - the Nautica is run by the same people who run Colona 6. It's more expensive, takes only 10 people and will run Thailand and Burma trips. The MV Jazz will also start up. Not quite as nice as Mermaid II, but again a good deal for the money.

A note about prices - due to the huge increase in gasoline prices in Thailand over the last year, prices for liveaboards will, for the most part, be going up next season. One or two operators have yet to announce the increase, but it is coming. One manager told me, that compared to last year their boat uses 18,000 Baht more gasoline per trip running from Thap Lamu to Similan, Richelieu and back. A boat running from Phuket to Similan will use even more, and boats going to Burma use a heckuvalot.

I didn't read every post in this thread but somehow I think the topic THE BEST PHUKET LIVEABOARD is reflected by the amount of $$$ you paid, the more expensive liveaboard the more perks you'll get out of it.

As far as friendlyliness, been to Thailand many times myself, have never run into an unfriendliness operator that cater to foreigners or tourist. Except that SARS thing that happend to me couple of years ago but long story....... I would concentrate on the destination, dates, type of boat I will be getting on and what type of food they'll be served.

Tommer

"Best" is a subjective indicator - unless we stipulate how we will measure "best" then its a useless indicator.

I think there are a hell of a loat of great boats in Thailand all aiming at certain market sectors and each and everyone of them being the "best" in some way or to somebody. Essentially all we are doing is saying if we personnally enjoyed our holiday on boat x, y or z.

These threads surprise me greatly because the posters involved in the dive industry in Thailand are very careful to remain objective but some individual posters (divers)seem to be right in there drumming up business for certain boats - not only in this thread but in others also.

I take it all with a pinch of salt.

Ocean Rover is the best I've been on - not the cheapest, but the best crew and most professional skiff drivers I've been diving with.

Hi,

I am going to Phuket this November, traded into the Marriott timeshare for a week, and am planning to go diving on a liveaboard for a few days. Before deciding which boat to take, I am trying to figure out which areas to dive.

For instance, the Colona6 goes South for 2 days and then North for 4 days, but the Nautica goes North only, like many other boats, for a full 6 days. Is there any strong reason to go South to Hin Daeng, Hin Muang & Phi Phi, or is the North really that much better? This is my first trip to Thailand, and so I am thinking it might be better to cover more area, but..

On another note, I'd consider the Mermaid2, but they have shared bathrooms, and that is a no go with my dive buddy.

The North (Similans etc.) are better known than the South Andaman divesites. I personally prefer Hin Daeng and Hin muang over most of the Similan sites. So if I would prefer to go on a combination trip to South Andaman + Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock.

Hin Daeng and Hin Muang are easily as good as the Similan Islands/Richelieu Rock, so a boat like Colona VI is a good bet. Mermaid II will have private bathrooms next season, and all cabins will have double bed with an upper bunk, so can be double or twin. About time too. So you have 2 options now.

Have a good trip!

Sunrise:
Hin Daeng and Hin Muang are easily as good as the Similan Islands/Richelieu Rock, so a boat like Colona VI is a good bet. Mermaid II will have private bathrooms next season, and all cabins will have double bed with an upper bunk, so can be double or twin. About time too. So you have 2 options now.

Have a good trip!

Thanks Sunrise, I checked out the Mermaids website, and the bathroom work is mentioned. After looking at the boat floorplan, I am curious to see how they pull it off, as there isn't a lot of room, and especially to make the bottom bed a double. With this info, I think I am leaning towards the MM2 over the Colona. Some of the other boats, eg Viking, sound nicer, but their schedules don't work for me.

Any comments on which boat, Colona 6 or Mermaid 2, has better support/room for photo equipment? I don't have a lot of equipment, but some TLC is always appreciated.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom