best or really good dive light ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have a budget?

yep, give us some parameters. 'best' are loooots of cash.

I really like the blue sola (i think its called the luna) that I have seen. I have a 900 lumen can light and when the diver with the sola came into the cavern it totally overpowered my beam...plus you can easily choose different beam widths and intensities and it's rechargeable without opening it. It will probably be my next light.

If you are on a budget, I would suggest looking for a used can light. You can find them for pretty cheap, check the forums there is usually someone selling one. If you have the money to burn I would suggest Light Monkey they make a great light. Next you only need to decide between LED or HID, and that would depend on the dives you are doing.

what the pro and cons of led vs hid? id love cheap but willing to part with up to 400 bucks

I have seen can lights for $400 shouldn't be to hard to find. A LED light is much more durable you can drop them and they will still work, run them while on the surface without burning out the bulb. I have found that most seem to have more of a wide beam that acts more like a flood light than I prefer. A HID light can have a very tight narrow beam. Some models have a focusable beam that you can adjust from a wide flood to a tight beam. Dive Rite makes a nice one that has this option that I have seen many for sale used. The Down side to a HID is the bulb. You don't want to run them on the surface and this can cause the bulb to overheat and burn out. The bulbs are very fragile and a dropped light can result in needing a new bulb. And the bulbs are not cheap, the last one I did was almost $80. But if taken care of they can last a long time.

I'll add to Bob's post. LED's have a much better battery life.

To the OP: What do you want the light to do, and how do you want to carry it? What kind of BC are you using, and what's your budget?

I was appalled as a new diver at how much dive lights cost. A set of lights with a big one, a middle-sized one and a small one was almost $200!

My last light cost me $1500.

That gives you an idea of what the spectrum is. Lights vary in power, burn time, degree of focus, and whether they require to be held in the hand. If you are doing only an occasional night dive in tropical water, a fairly small, hand-held light may suffice. If you are looking for something for Southern California, you are going to want a more powerful light, and possibly with more intense focus, especially if you end up using it for communication as well as for looking into and under things.

Give us a bit more information, and we can give you some options for lights that will work for your gear and your needs.

Back
Top Bottom